Titan not extruding correctly

Discussion in 'Titan' started by TstarkEngineering, Apr 29, 2016.

1. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Ray

My Titan, not an upgrade to BB, came with two sets of screws. One was a longer set than the other for different bracket thickness I assumed.

2. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

I have some spares here:

http://www.filastruder.com/products/titan-drive-gear

@TstarkEngineering I borrowed your photo for the product page as I'm slammed busy today - I hope that's OK, shoot me a PM if not.

3. TstarkEngineering

TstarkEngineering Well-Known Member

@elmoret psh I dont care, the old drive gear was super dirty though lol

edit: o haha you just took the new one. ya no problem

4. danzca6

@elmoret, that's awesome. You seem to be the only one supplying the new gear so far. I didn't even see that available on E3D's site. @TstarkEngineering took a great pic. I didn't even connect the two when I looked at the product page.

5. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

Yeah, I don't think its on E3D's site. I got some spare gears in a shipment from E3D last week.

6. Abrooksdavis

Abrooksdavis Member

Sorry to jump in on this thread but im having a nightmare with the Titan extruder and polymax PLA. No matter what tension I have the extruder on the filament it just starts to chew into the filament. The hobbed gear has an approx 3mm grooved part the same width as the filament itself so appears to be the older design?

I have checked the motor is sufficiently powered, it is. The gear assembly is not overtightened and the hobbed/grooved gear moves smoothly. It appears to print ok then just starts chewing the filament. I can push the filament through the extruder by hand ok so I dont think there is a blockage.

Any ideas?

7. danzca6

Possible that you are seeing the same issue some of the early adopters are seeing. There is a picture of an improvement e3d made to the hobb gear earlier in this thread. Did you buy yours early? Have a pic of your hobb?

http://forum.e3d-online.com/index.php?threads/titan-not-extruding-correctly.1214/page-2#post-13006

#47 danzca6, May 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  8. Sanjay

Sanjay Administrator
    Staff Member

Hey Guys,

So we had some machining issues with some parts at the end of a run on the first batch - the custom cutter that cuts the teeth experienced wear during manufacture that we didn't pick up on. We've made new tools, from superior materials now.

This wasn't a design change or revision, just some unfortunately un-E3D-like machining sloppiness. It was a new process to us, with new tools, on a new machine.

If you have a drive gear you suspect is faulty we will replace it immediately and totally free of charge. TStarks photo shows pretty clearly the difference between perfect on the left, and sloppy on the right:

[​IMG]

If you need a replacement, please contact us (or your distributor) and we'll get you a new one out right away. Sincere apologies to those who've been having issues, hopefully this can be resolved quickly.

Cheers,
    Sanjay

9. danzca6

@Sanjay you rock! Thank you for clearing that all up. I know E3D is busy expanding product lines and it is great to see an official word from the top brass on this issue.

10. Abrooksdavis

Abrooksdavis Member

Hi all. Yeah I think my hobb gear is the narrow version. Heres a picture

[​IMG]

11. Abrooksdavis

Abrooksdavis Member

I have to say Im really happy to find out its an actual fault with the component rather than some unidentifiable factor. I have been battering my brain trying to figure out why I couldnt get it working consistantly. :D I have sent an email to E3D support with the picture above included.

#51 Abrooksdavis, Jun 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  12. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

The correct hobb helped but in Bowden my Titan still grind the filament resulting in slippage in the end.

13. Abrooksdavis

Abrooksdavis Member

Just wanted to make an update:
    I have received a replacement hobbed gear and after a number of weeks of use I can say it is perfect.
    The correct hobbed gear grips fantastically well and since using it no filament has been chewed, no filament flow issues and perfect consistant prints.
    The titan extruder is now officially the best extruder I have ever had the pleasure of using. Cheers!

14. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

It is not perfect, changing the filament can still be a pain wit 1.75mm but overall it is a very very good one

15. danzca6

I thought the problem changing filament was with 2.85?

16. Duncan

Duncan New Member

Has anyone had this issue and then subsequently resolved it? I am simply unable to print at all at the moment with the filament being chewed. I have tried realigning everything, reinstalling everything, adjusting the tensioner back and forth to no avail. I am able to print nGen fine but not ABS, which is strange because I was able to print ABS for a few dozen hours until this issue started happening. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have reached out to E3D support but haven't heard back yet - very eager to get this resolved and do not want to have to put my stock extruder back on...

I am using 3mm and have been the whole time.

Here are a few pictures in case it helps. I believe I have the wide groove and not the narrow. You can see the debris filling in the grooves shortly after starting to extrude after it is cleaned and then just grinds. I appreciate any suggestions anyone has. Thanks

IMG_1627.jpg IMG_1626.jpg

#56 Duncan, Aug 6, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  17. Mihai

Mihai Member

Good Morning,

Has there been any resolution to this ? I am experiencing the same issues with the Titan on 1.75mm filament. basically, the titan loses grip then starts chewing the filament. Very disappointed at this stage considering I have bought three of these extruders and still cannot get a consistent print from them. Setup and what I tried so far as follows:

e3d V6 on 0.8mm nozzle
    Titan extruder direct mount
    nema 17 18Nm stepper (http://www.omc-stepperonline.com/ne...r-29v-07a-18ncm255ozin-17hs100704s-p-260.html)

1.75mm PLA filament
    4mm bowden tube on inlet to guide filament in.
    Aligned and re-aligned idler and gears

Tried the following:
    Temps from 190 to 230
    Various spring tensions

Although the stepper is not the torquiest around, it has sufficient torque and does not lose steps, titan ends up grinding the filament.

Please can e3d provide some support on this ? Don't want to end up searching for another extruder again.

Cheers,

Mihai.

18. danzca6

@Mihai, do you have a picture of your hobb? Wondering if you have one of the older versions. Not sure when you bought it. Also, have you tried contacting E3D directly via email with this issue? They may want to review your case to see if there are any production issues or if it is just a calibration or adjustment needed in your case.

19. Mihai

Mihai Member

Hey Danzca6,

Uploaded video to show exactly what is happening:

Will get in contact with e3d support via email as well.

Any thoughts please do let me know.

Cheers,

Mihai.

20. danzca6

Wow that video actually captures the issue nicely. A pondered on it and can't think of what can be causing it. Looks like you have the updated hobb as well. You already mentioned adjusting the tension with no success. Hopefully @Sanjay will either see your video posted here or the email will get this resolved. Thanks for sharing the video.