Gregs BigBox IDEX Titan Aero With Linear Rail

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by EASI3D, Sep 12, 2017.

1. EASI3D

EASI3D Well-Known Member

R Design, Paul Begley and potti5 like this.
  2. Julian64

Julian64 Well-Known Member

interesting. Is there anything to stop you turning that rail up on end and having the aero in front rather than below. Would improve height at the same time the 'sag' we all dread would be less likely??
    Couldn't find anything on the misumi site about linear forces to say no.

Have to say am now spoilt for choice as to an upgrade path from my dual hybrid. I started to print out direct IDEX, then saw Gregs Bowden, and now this. I had my finger on the button now I have done all the normal printing I needed to upgrade the bigbox and was just about to buy some zesty nimbles for the Bowden IDX to have the best of both worlds, but now I'm right back at square one :(

Come on Greg, let us ditherers know which of all these you would say is the best for dual printing from your experience and I'll just take your advice

Hugofitz likes this.
  3. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

Yes I've ordered the rails and printed the parts.

I'm going to build it as a single extruder solution first rather than idex and I've modified the carriage to make it quick swap between v6 and volcano with a normal titan. With the linear rail beaing above the Y rods I'm hoping theres little if any loss in Z height.

but I wont know for sure till the rail arrives.

4. AndyVirus

AndyVirus Well-Known Member

Motors and rail ordered, will print the parts over the next few weekend if i get time. I am running the original Direct IDEX with Aero’s already and had to use volcano blocks to clear plastic caridges, so for me this is a welcome update so i have choice of hot end again (but will stick with Volcano as my parts are soooo much stonger) and i like the rear mounted cooling fan too. May even get a little more X with either head. Ordered the cheap rail for now while i debate either getting a Misumi rail with slightly smaller sliders or the Igus rail and sliders.... Both way more expensive but might order some samples.

5. Greg_The_Maker

Greg_The_Maker Administrator
    Staff Member

I like the linear rail IDEX Aero, it has given me the best print off any of the BigBoxes so far. There is next to no sag in the rail. There is a noticeable reduction in weight too which reduces ringing.

To get the full benefit print the parts from a very rigid material. They are very closely toleranced to fit the rail and bearings so there will be next to no lash in the system.

6. potti5

potti5 Well-Known Member

what is printing area with this?

7. Hugofitz

Hugofitz Active Member

This looks great Greg!
    I love the simplicity.
    I think I may have finally found an IDEX candidate that I'm going to commit to (until someone comes up with another smart idea! ;))

8. AndyVirus

For rigidity, what would be best? Edge, MatX or something else? I have a roll of PC but try not to print too much with that as i dont have any active ventilation. Also have half a roll of Colorfabb_ht but like PETG and Edge it might be too flexible?

9. Hugofitz

Hugofitz Active Member

Is plain old PLA any good? It's certainly rigid, I know it doesn't win fancy or excotic prizes!

10. AndyVirus

Sure is! But I am coolingfanless so pla currently for me is a non starter :)

11. Hugofitz

Hugofitz Active Member

Surely a cooling fan plus a spool of PLA is still cheaper than alot of the fancy filaments!

12. AndyVirus

Agreed. But for me, i already have PETG,EDGE,MatX,PC,Colourfabb_HT,PET and Nylon in the fillament box ready to go... can print all of them fanless (ok not tried nylon yet) to a pretty nice finish. Damn strong too, especially petg with no fan vs with a fan. Bridging is a pain but not impossible. Removed the fans as the ones i made ruined the look of the Aero’s :-D That and i like a chalange. PLA i can live with out it turns out.

Hugofitz likes this.
  13. Julian64

Good enough for me. Off to order the parts.

Hugofitz likes this.
  14. Hugofitz

Hugofitz Active Member

Printing underway!
    Next job order parts..... (maybe after payday)

Attached Files:

Kanedias likes this.
  15. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

Sigh.... I like the design! I like it so much I might adopt it for Dual Nimble and Chimera. I thought I was just about finished with that conversion :confused:

Hugofitz likes this.
  16. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

*sigh* I like it too...
    So I began to update my SolidWorks model and inserted the parts to test some things...
    And so far I can tell you definetly will loose some build space in X. How much I don't know yet.
    Y looks good you have a lot of additional space in the front and the back even with the Y motor inside the case.

Also I want to keep the IR sensor on the head and *if* I decide to change again I have to adjust that...

At first I didn't want to switch again but now I am thinking... Though the loss of space, it is not much so, is again an argument against it... Not sure what to do...

#16 Alex9779, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    AndyVirus, Hugofitz and potti5 like this.
  17. jfb

jfb Well-Known Member

I am so tempted.
    And I still haven't finished my original conversion to idex....

Hugofitz likes this.
  18. Julian64

I made Gregs under the table IR a few months ago when I started to have some problems with the first layer, trying to adjust it on the fly.
    Since I levelled the bed I haven't touched the table again, over what must be ten or twenty prints all I've done is just start the machine

I think Greg manually mesh levels but I can say I've really not needed to do any of that. Would eb interested why you want to stick with the IR sensor on the head when it seems so sensitive to not only the type of bed you have, but the heat of the bed and any coating you may have on it.

19. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

As far as I know there is no manual bed levelling on the Duet...

20. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

Yes there is, since firmware 1.19. You just need to set the Z probe type to 0 in the M558 command. Currently you have to drive it from the web interface or USB, because the touch screen firmware doesn't yet support the new type of message box that it uses.