What did I do wrong?

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by delsey, Oct 9, 2017.

1. delsey

delsey Member

I bought a printer, assembled it and the extruder did not work. I tried everything I could but I did not get it to work, not even with the help of the facebook group.

I then bought a Titan Aero and assembled it, I had to make the wires of the fans longer, but I got to connect it to my Flying Bear P902 eventually. I configured the Marlin software following the instructions on the e3d website and flashed it. Heated up fine but steppeemotor in extruder made strange noises. Turned it off quickly but since then the pins on the atmega board for the extruder do not seem to work anymore. I put the steppers from x,y and z axis on those pins and they do not move. Extruder stepper on the other hand, moves when on other pins. (It doesnt spin, because the steps/mm are wrong but it moves somehow.) The stepperdriver works aswell, i switched that one to the x axis and it worked.

I set the steps/mm to {100,100,800,837}. I used the same cable as I used for the steppermotor that I had installed before. (One of these rather clunky ones) The sign on the old stepper says 42BYGH 34-2-22B NO:20170510. After reading a bit, I came to the conclusion that the cables were wrong and the e3d stepper has different pins and that i would have had to switch the cables.

Q1) is it possible that I fried the board by comnecting wrong cables to wrong pins on the steppermotor?

Q2) Is 837 for steps/mm okay?

Q3) What cables go on what pins on the stepper?

Q4) I have 1 slot on the board left for a stepper driver. If the 4th slot is fried, can I use the 5th one to drive the extruder? And how do I configure that in Marlin?

I'm so lost right now.

2. A Dragon In A Pie Costume

A Dragon In A Pie Costume Well-Known Member

Firstly welcome to the forums
    Second Marlin will not let you run a motor if the nozzle temp is not above 170
    837 sounds reasonable for a titan but might need calibration
    In the board settings you'd set the pins for 5 the same as 4

delsey likes this.
  3. Greg_The_Maker

Greg_The_Maker Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi,

A1) Yes, but not likely.

A2) Yes, sounds fine.

A3) Depends. Try swapping the two inner wires around on the black connector.

A4) Yes, it will be in <board type>_pins.h

delsey likes this.
  4. delsey

delsey Member

Thanks alot for your answer. I found the data sheets for the titan stepper motor. Was reall confused that there was no cable for the motor in the package. Might have been a mistake on their side. Thanks alot!