Not enough force to extrude

Discussion in 'Titan' started by marcosfg, Nov 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. marcosfg

marcosfg Member

I have just assembled my titan, however it stops turning as soon as a small force is required.

I have it connected to a MKS SBASE running smoothiware configured with 1.2A current.

As soon as I insert filament into the extruder it start to fail. If I apply a small pressure on the black wheel it also fails easily.

I have a 400rev nema 17 motor.

Any help?

2. Tom De Bie

Tom De Bie Well-Known Member

did you adjust the alpha_steps_per_mm for the titan? Try to remove the hotend and configure the steps for the extruder without it.
    check this page in the end you'll find several Youtube clips from Thomas Sanladerer

3. marcosfg

marcosfg Member

Yes I have adjusted the alpha_steps_per_mm and have measured the pulled filament to make sure the steps per mm are correct.

The problem is that the motor does not have enough force to drive the filament through the PTFE tube. And as soon as I try to extrude through the v6 it will skip steps.

I am waiting for a new motor to arrive (an nema 17 of 1.8º degree per step) and also a will also try it on a azteeg x5 this week.

However I still haven't managed to print anything with any of my titan's.

4. MAxime34

MAxime34 New Member

I marcosfg,
    Do you have any news with your Nema 17 1,8° ?
    I just changed my extruder and hotend with a Titan and et V6, and it seems I have the same issue.
    My motor skips steps and is clicking during the print, and no PLA is extruded...
    Here is a link for a video about my issue : link

5. Matthew Huck

Matthew Huck Member

Have you had any joy. I've just got around to installing mine and it's doing exactly the same.

stavros glezakos likes this.
  6. gonzalo

gonzalo Well-Known Member

I am sure that you double checked these but: check temperature, are you trying to extrude too cold? Make sure that the filament is all the way thru down to the melt zone, some times it gets stuck on the neck of the heatbrake and does not go all the way down. I always bring the extruder to temp and manually push some filament to make sure it is feeding right. Last thing check your current to the stepper, you should have around 0.5-0.6 volts.

#6 gonzalo, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  7. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

What are the rated current and resistance per phase of the stepper motor?

8. Matthew Huck

Matthew Huck Member

Temp was 230 (ABS), and I was able to manually push down and extrude.
    The drivers were set around that .5 mark for Vref. Even tried a different stepper driver (had some knock off chinese ones too), same problem.

I do have another ramps board I can try, or even a melzi.

Unrelated, I've noticed that if I try to reverse extrude the filament out, it gets completely stuck and when I dismantle the drive, you can see the filament is actually wider just before the black plastic guide.

9. gonzalo

That is a tell tell sign of too much retraction and bad heatbrake cooling!
    What hotend are you using???
    Is it a V6?

10. Matthew Huck

Matthew Huck Member

It's a titan aero, with the heat sink fan running all the time. It probably was just too much retraction because I was trying to retract the filament all the way out.

11. gonzalo

The aero has a very short path to the melt zone so you should use minimal retraction, with ABS printing at the low end of temp range like 230c I think you don’t need more than 0.5mm.
    We’re you able to make it work?

12. Matthew Huck

Matthew Huck Member

No not yet, I'm going to try a higher temp, and then I'll try the Melzi board as it has a different driver IC, (I think the drivers on the ramps board are cheap knock-offs).

E3d have offered to replace the motor with a higher toque (but 1.8' step angle) so that will allow me to get it up and running, but I was really hoping to play with the smaller nozzle sizes and the smaller step angle would be good for that.

Since the stepper driver and filament are the only two things that are not supplied by e3d, it has to be one of them causing the problem.

13. Matthew Huck

Matthew Huck Member

Well, increasing the temperature to 245, it extrudes better, still lots of missed steps, and I have to have Vref on the driver really high for it even start extruder (almost to max). Decreasing the speed from 1.6mm/s to .8mm/s made a difference too, but I wouldn't be happy driving it so hard for a long print.

I then swapped over to the Melzi, and tried again, unfortunately it was the same results, and the stepper got warm to touch after only extruding 300mm of filament. Again, the stepper driver Vref had to be set to maximum.

What else could it be, surely other people have had success with the slim 0.9' stepper and Titan Aero?

14. Syko_Symatic

Syko_Symatic Well-Known Member

I had a similar issue on my Ultifaker. I had to really clean the nozzle out. Several atomic pulls later and it was printing fine. I blame it on an old batch of ABS.

15. gonzalo

Lower the stepper back, you don’t get more torque... and yes to Syko, maybe you have a clogged nozzle?