Filament colour choice for modelling

Discussion in 'Filament' started by RTBiscuit, Sep 26, 2016.

1. RTBiscuit

RTBiscuit Well-Known Member

Seems like a strange question, but thought i'd ask to get the opinions of those with more experience. If you were prototype modelling what colour is best for printing in to show detail etc.

I know that detail can be increased and decreased with the quality of the print, but what colour do people find shows up best shadow etc.

my guess is grey

or do most people print in what ever they have enough of regardless of colour?

2. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

ColorFabb seems to think their dark gray is particularly serious looking:

"This intense and dark gray gives your print a style that is undeniable. This dark grey is the very popular RAL 7043, used for many applications"

(RAL is a German color description standard similar to Pantone)

Dark gray certainly makes any contrasting color bits pop. Their light gray is also nice. Maybe try both?

RTBiscuit likes this.
  3. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

I use Colorfabb XT light grey for everything.

Unless there's a specific reason to use something else.

The colour is neutral, yet you can see features and photograph the form quite well (unlike black or white).

I guess beige would be a nice universal colour too.

4. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

Yeah, grey. Or silver excelvan, which is also grey. I'm also partial to their grass green and cyan.

5. GeckoBox3D

GeckoBox3D Well-Known Member

very dark blacks and pure whites show very little detail, I've found similar issues with very bright colours as well. Otherwise most filament shows shadows well.

However, too much detail can be a bad thing! All the little faults in your printer show up so much more... Not all that bad, but if it's to show off a prototype maybe something you don't want

6. RTBiscuit

RTBiscuit Well-Known Member

For first time printing do people recommend starting with PLA get to grips with that then move on to playing with ABS and then other materials?

7. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

PLA every time as it is cheap and generally produces good models for artistic or engineering projects. It's limitations are few other than a low glass temperature. I do not use ABS as it has too many issues such as warp and toxic emissions and there are better, if more expensive, filaments such as NGen and Edge and the specials such as XT-CF20, wood fill and metal fill. But, most of my general printing uses PLA.

8. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

I use mostly PLA/PHA mix as it seem to print smother and isn't as brittle as plain PLA. Silver seems to be the most robust mixture...

9. cez

cez Well-Known Member

I use gray abs as its better with post processing, easy to sand. I've never had a problem with abs and warping ever because I use 3Dlac