SOLVED Hybrid dual titan 1.1 direct tubing tight fit

Discussion in 'Build Help' started by kevclarx, Sep 26, 2016.

1. kevclarx

kevclarx Active Member

So I am moving on to "my first print" but a problem I delayed looking at from early on has reared it's ugly head. I am trying to feed the tubing for the direct(right side) titan but the tube does not quite fit in the tensioner hole.

Not sure if I put the titan together wrong as the directions I am reading think I should be having a bowden coupler there instead. Attached a photo of tubing and top of extruder.

Attached Files:

2. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

It is a tight fit and must be pushed through to almost touch the hob. It is important to fit this tube as it centres the filament with the hob, so several of us have cut a short piece (30mm) of the tube from the Bowden Titan that has a slightly smaller internal diameter and permanently fitted it in the lever and allow the feed tube to remain free as this is only a dust cover for the filament on its way from the reel.

kevclarx likes this.
  3. kevclarx

kevclarx Active Member

Thanks, I will give that a shot. The edges of the tube were already starting to deform from trying to wedge it in there.

4. markoaurelije

markoaurelije Active Member

I think the tube going in should be 2mm ID, the picture you posted looks like 3mm ID!?

5. mike01hu

The 2mm ID is for the Bowden side but a short piece of it can be used as I indicated.

6. kevclarx

kevclarx Active Member

Your suggestion worked great - after a long journey I too have my own benchy :)

For some reason it was extremely hard to remove from the glass even at 30C and it peeled the bottom layer off, but I am still extremely pleased!

Attached Files:

RTBiscuit likes this.
  7. mike01hu

I assume it was PLA. It is unusual to lose the bottom layer as this indicates a lack of interlayer adhesion. Check that there is no cooling for the first couple of layers and print at above 200C. I use 220C/40C for the first layer then reduce to 205C/40C for the rest and increase cooling by 10% every 5 or so layers, but each filament is different. For PLA on glass I use PVA juice i.e. PVA wood glue and water in a 1:5 ratio mix.

8. kevclarx

kevclarx Active Member

I didn't play with the cooling or fan at all, just downloaded the benchy into s3d, and tweaked it so that it would print on the direct extruder. I had bed at 60C and extruder at 230(that was temp on makergeek PLA listed).

I was thinking maybe I had the nozzle too close to the glass for the first layer as it almost seemed like it was carving it up(the PLA) a bit as it zigged and zagged.

9. RTBiscuit

RTBiscuit Well-Known Member

I had issues with inserting the tubing into the titan at the top the same as the first post. as i'm not finished building yet i've left it just slightly wedged in. i might gently sand the outer edge to get it to squeeze in, or try cooling the end in the freezer to contract it before inserting.

10. Paul Begley

Paul Begley Well-Known Member

i used a pencil sharpener to form a small “point” which helped when inserting.

RTBiscuit likes this.
  11. RTBiscuit

RTBiscuit Well-Known Member

I was wondering about shaping the end, thats a smart idea with the pencil sharpener, will try that