COMPLETE Magnetic Latches!

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Ephemeris, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

I’ve been babysitting the printer 12 hours a day for weeks to get a work problem done, so I haven’t had much time to design and build anything fun. However, I finally got a few hours free to print my own stuff and decided to take a shot at yet another set of latches.

The result is a single printable part that can be used for the electronics cover and for the four side panels. No tools are needed to pop the hatches. They snap in and snap out.

Here’s what they look like installed in the electronics cover. They’re anti-snag, low profile, only 4 mm high.The wide end has a rolled edge to give your fingers just enough purchase to lift the hatch.

IMG_1520.JPG

The latch has a recess on the top surface for a 15 mm diameter x 1 mm thick magnet. A little glue in the recess will hold them in place permanently. Here's a typical magnet for this.

http://www.dx.com/p/fandyfire-15mm-x-1mm-nickel-plated-ndfeb-magnet-100pcs-417837

You attach the latches to the hatches (that rhymes!) with an M3x12 flathead screw.

IMG_1528.JPG

Each latch needs a corresponding magnet mounted to the frame. I found these 12 mm diameter x 3 mm magnets with countersunk holes in the middle that are perfect for an M3x12 flathead screw.

http://www.dx.com/p/12-x-3-4mm-ndfeb-neodymium-magnet-circular-cylinder-diy-puzzle-set-10-pcs-419002

As I said these will also work for the four doors on sides of the BigBox. The only difference is, because the side panels lack the threaded brass inserts that hold the electronics cover down, you will also need two M3 nylock (nylon insert) nuts and two M3 washers for each latch.

IMG_1522.JPG

So, if you like magnets, and enjoy printing lots of copies of the same thing, this may be the mod for you. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

#1 Ephemeris, Jul 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  2. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

Like the design! I thought to use magnets for this as well but only have some 12x3mm magnets. Not sure if it would be easy to adapt your design or make something from scratch :)

3. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

Hmm... those countersunk magnets are an interesting idea. I'm still thinking about ways to adapt the stock bed to work with the dual direct Titan design. If we could attach something like that to the PCB support pillar...

4. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Off topic: Did the plum couplers make any difference?

5. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

You read my mind! I wanted to do the very same thing this week end after painting my castle. I guess I can just steal your version and focus on the iron man cover :)
    Thanks for the effort!

6. Ephemeris

I really didn't do a comparison in the BB. I've had issues in the past on another printer where a helical coupler gave clearly inferior results to the elastomeric zero-backlash style so now I just use them by default.

7. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

Could you share a step file of the design? I am finishing a specific mod for my cover and I might want to change the look a little bit.

8. Ephemeris

I added the .step file to the original post above. I've never used that export option so I'm curious to see if it works for you.

9. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

It worked ! Thanks

10. W1EBR.Gene

W1EBR.Gene Well-Known Member

Which one of the plum couplers out there would you recommend?

11. Ephemeris

I use the next to smallest Ruland ones that are 1.1" long x 0.75" diameter with the stiffest elastomeric spider.I think these are the right pages:

http://www.ruland.com/shaft-coupling.php?recordID=MJC19-5-A
    http://www.ruland.com/shaft-coupling.php?recordID=MJC19-8-A
    http://www.ruland.com/shaft-coupling.php?recordID=JD12/19-98R

They're not cheap, but they are modular, and they can be refurbished. I don't know the cheapest place to get them. McMaster-Carr carries these, so I just get them from there. I'd guess with some searching you could get them for 30% less somewhere.

Most of the stuff on ebay/amazon are no-name/no-spec stuff that does not inspire confidence.

12. W1EBR.Gene

W1EBR.Gene Well-Known Member

Thanks! I have an account with Mitsumi and I looked there out of curiosity and sure enough, they also carry them.

13. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

What is a plum coupler?

14. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

15. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

Ahahah. I deserved it!
    Also because I realise I knew :)

Alex9779 likes this.