Menu selection?

Discussion in 'Multi-Extrusion' started by Section31, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Section31

Section31 Member

I asked this in the Reprap forum but lots of views and no answers :(
    The Legendary pack is something many are buying, so I was wondering if it is possible to have a menu selection in Marlin or other firmware to pick between Chimera and Cyclops instead of having to re-flash the controller every time the hot ends are swapped. I know the changes and I have Chimera working well, but I would like to give the Cyclops a try and I know offsets need to be changed and the firmware needs to be "tricked" into using one temperature sensor. I am no Arduino expert so perhaps someone can shed some light on this? I rather select which one I'm using from a menu than having to re-flash. Thanks.

Colin likes this.
  2. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

Compare the two firmware version find the differences then make it selectable.

Adding it to the LCD shouldn't be terribly hard, search text strings for other options you see on the lcd to see how it's done.

Mostly would just be time consuming, you could look at say the enable for sdcard support for the lcd reference.

A good tool for compares is "Files Compare Tool" that's what I use in cases like this.

3. Section31

Section31 Member

Thanks. I'll keep digging into this. Basically, it is possible to keep the offsets at 0,0 and do those in the slicer software (I use S3D) but the pins.h definition for temp sensor 2 needs to change to the same as temp sensor 1 for cyclops. I think switching that in a menu would be more convenient and less stressful for the Atmega chip. As I said, I'm no Arduino expert, so this may take me a while.

4. William DUtcher

Have not ordered the Legends pack yet(waiting for the Cyclops cartridge thermistor upgrade and hopfully water cooling option), but I am also planning to simplify the switching of the Chimera and Cyclops heads, since I will be doing it often. Rather then using a menu driven interface, during powerup l plan to check temp sensor 2 for a valid reading maybe even turning the heater on for a few seconds to see if it the temp rises if it does the firmware will select Chimera otherwise Cyclops and configure the display accordingly. Not as easy to code as the menu driven approach but more automated. Just another option for you to consider.

Section31 likes this.
  5. Section31

Section31 Member

Good idea! I'll look into that too. I rather avoid a hardware fix but I'm considering it too.