Inconsistent Z ribbing/Banding

Discussion in 'General' started by Eviltoy, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Eviltoy

Eviltoy Well-Known Member

The blue one is perfect however if I print the blue now it will have bad layers. everything is tight.

2. Eviltoy

I dont know if it is the hotend or the extruder but it seems that it has to be one of those factors as I changed the heater block and drivegear and everything was hunky dory. I am more inclined to lean towards the extruder as the hotend operates in the correct temp zone etc

3. Eviltoy

logged a ticket with e3d regarding the titan as it seems its either the hotend or the extruder. Mechanically I have checked everything and when I replaced the drivegear and heaterblock it worked fine then all of a sudden back to the issue a few days later

4. Eviltoy

So I tried printing with less extrusion dropped the flow rate to 95% through the print and same artifacts occur

5. eca

eca Well-Known Member

I have a BB dual from the KS campaign and have the same issue. I can try posting a pic after work.

6. Eviltoy

Think e3d support forgot about me :p

7. Eviltoy

Ok not getting any feedback from e3d support. Could it be that I need to use a different stepper driver for my extruder?

8. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm at a loss as to what else to suggest. It doesn't look consistent enough to be something like that, you've previously swapped the stepper and noticed no change. Do you have any photos of recent prints?

9. Eviltoy

lemme get some

10. Eviltoy

Will have to run a print tonight the pictures I had of things I printed recently dont really show the banding. Its pretty much still printing like the last green cube I posted.

11. Eviltoy

Now this is interesting i measured the extruder filament width and its like .5 mm instead of .4 i will be running experiments with the nozzle diameter set to this

12. Eviltoy

Ok that wasnt it still get those weird layers

13. Eviltoy

14. Pixelnate

Pixelnate New Member

Did you ever get this resolved? I am having similar issues with a Titan + E3Dv6.

15. JiveTurk

JiveTurk New Member

Looks like a Z bellows issue to me.

I'm not sure your printer is running flexy bellows for the Z lead screw, But you will never get consistent layers whilst these are fitted.

If you have access to a dial indicator and stand check for yourself.
    move the Z 10mm up / down and see if it returns to the same pos, do this at various spots over the whole Z travel.

If you have fitted drylin style bearings on the Z and are also running bellows - this is bad. Go back to standard ball race bearings!

Jump up and down next to the printer (if on floorboards) and see if there is any deviation on the dial. etc.
    tap the X and check the same.

Bed springs? make stabilisers for them or just go solid and use shims.

ideally to solve the issue - go solid couplers. Trouble is - you'll need very straight lead screws. :)

Cheers
    Simon

16. W1EBR.Gene

W1EBR.Gene Well-Known Member

My humble opinion only (the management may not agree; I could be wrong):

Open up your Titan extruder and check the bearings that support the driven gear+hobb. Also, check the driven gear+hobb ends that insert into the bearings for heavy wear that could lead to wobble. I think it is possible to set the idler arm pressure (which pushes against the filament which then pushes against the gear+hobb) so high that failure of the bearings and/or deformation of the "tube" that inserts into them can occur over time.

17. gonzalo

gonzalo Well-Known Member

What worked for me was to re tram the whole gantry. I found out that there were residual tensions in both x and y travels as well as between the bearings on the corners of the bed.
    I spent literally hours making sure that all axis were as tram and free to roll as possible and then moved on to more minor tweaks like material flow and print speed.
    Also check that the printer sits on a FLAT surface and that all feet are touching the table evenly. The frame will bend with its own weight enough to cause issues if not planted firmly on all feet.