How to get the heater cartridge of the e3dv6 out?

Discussion in 'Build Help' started by Hax, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Hax

Hax New Member

Hello,

The heater cartridge of my e3d v6 was broken and I needed to replace it. As you know there is an inbus screw holding the heater cartridge in the heater block, but the inbus screw got so dirty inside, i just can't fit any inbus wrech in it. One inbus I tried is 1.5 mm and the other is 2 mm. The 1.5 mm is too small and the 2 mm doesn't fit. I'm not able to grab the screw with pliers, it's too thin. Could you maybe give me a hint how to get the heater cartridge out of it?

Thank you
    Best regards
    Hax

2. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

Use a dremel to put a slot in the head. Next time, install the heater block so the screw is on the up side and can't get contaminated with plastic.

3. A Dragon In A Pie Costume

A Dragon In A Pie Costume Well-Known Member

i used a pair of pliers to pry the screw off when i had the same issue, ymmv

4. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

You got good experience with this? I thought about this once but got uncertain since the heater would be further away from the nozzle. Probably not much difference in heat transfer but...

The real bugger to loosen is the temp sensor grub

5. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

By putting the heater cartridge screw up, the grub screw is up as well.

I modeled a heater block in FEA once, temperatures were uniform within a few degrees. Would be even better if a sock or similar was used.

6. cez

cez Well-Known Member

When you do free it up put a tiny blob on anti seize on the screw before you replace it. Super easy to remove next time then