My Edge recipe

Discussion in 'Filament' started by Henry feldman, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

So recently I decided to get back into to Edge, having had terrible luck in the beginning (admittedly pre-titan) with horrible stringing, glass sharding, etc. So recently have been printing up a storm for a friend who needed some emergent prototypes for a complex part for meeting with the brass, and we decided it needed to be in an engineering plastic. I didn't have enough white nylon 910 on hand (black is just too hard to see) so looked in my box of edge, and had several grey spools (why don't we have metallic silver? @Sanjay or @Greg Holloway ) which since the real parts are aluminum would be a good surrogate.

I went back and read @Sanjay's stuff on Edge, and noted that you should use UHU on top to reduce the glass shard issue (missed that). I have had multiple successes (and my friend was extremely pleased with the high quality and tough prototypes)

• So my recipe is putting down the usual coat of wolfbite nano onto the bed as if I was doing PLA/PHA (don't know if this is required but the bed already had it on it the first time, and I'm not messing with success, and have done it this way several times for 20+ prints)
    • Coat the Wolfbite with a good coat of UHU stick
    • Level the bed with a smidge less tension on the paper than I do for PLA/PHA
    • Print at 240/85 (using @Alex9779's S3D profile for edge)
    • Part is completely detached from the bed once cooled, but during printing could probably put the BigBox in the back of a Baja racer.

It is producing flawless prints with a few hairs which are easily swept away with a brush post-print, despite a very complex assembly (one of the parts is made up of over 545 parts in OnShape printed as a single mesh). I have been printing enough Edge in the last 2 weeks that I just had to order another 4 spools from @elmoret today

2. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

Oh and make sure your sock doesn't have a giant-assed gaping hole in it... Man that thing works better than my straight razor scraper at removing prints from the bed... :rolleyes:

mike01hu and Spoon Unit like this.
  3. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

You mention UHU and Wolfbite nano too, why both?

Plus as E3D use UHU I tried this on a glass bed and the print stuck (like glue !!) and eventually came off with a large glass chip, this was PLA or ABS, can't remember which.

Just about to convert to Volcano and first prints with Edge so looking for " @Sanjay's stuff on Edge" if you have a link?