Bad layer adhesion, inconsistent extrusion

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Brandonprints, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Brandonprints

Brandonprints Member

Hey guys,

I installed my E3D V6 two weeks ago and did a PID autotune and changed my thermistor in the firmware.

My prints are coming out horrible. Bad layer finish, bad layer adhesion, inconsistent extrusion, and just an overall bad print.

I thought it was maybe the filament, having left it out for a couple weeks. So I ordered a new roll, finished off my old one, and I'm still getting parts that can be pulled apart. I upped the infil to 40% and I would still get sections I could see through! (1cm thick print)

I've tried every setting I can think of. I've made sure there are no filament jams or binds, and even fed the filament by hand only to still get the same problem.

I'm considering switching back to the cheap nozzle next week if I can't get it figured out. It seems a few other people are having this issue with their new V6's as well on the Anet facebook fourm. I'm wondering if it is maybe a bad batch?

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. I was very excited to do this upgrade, and now it's halted all of my projects.

Attached Files:

2. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

It may be possible that you are printing at a too low temperature (sensor fault / misreading / is the sensor reading room temperature correctly ?). You said you tried everything, did you try to raise the extrusion temperature ?

3. Brandonprints

Brandonprints Member

I tried at 190, and then raised it all the way up to 230 by 5 degree increments. I also played with the feed rate at each temperature setting.

4. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

Hmmm... then my advise would be to contact E3D about this. You are the third one on this forum that has the same issues with a new E3D extruder. My guess is that your problem is with the nozzle.

5. Paul Winter

Paul Winter Well-Known Member

I am just about to raise my own query on the forum, and came across your post. I ordered 2 new .4mm nozzles (1 brass, 1 steel) from E3D to convert an existing E3D v6 setup to dual extrusion. As well as the nozzles, I also ordered a full hotend from E3D.
    My problems on the new hotend/nozzle sound identical to yours. The only difference I can determine is between the original brass .4mm nozzle, and the new .4mm brass and steel nozzles (only ordered 5weeks ago).
    What I found was that, although the nozzles are both marked with 3dots on the flats, the hole in the new nozzle is much smaller than on the older nozzle. I have never had any problems pushing filament through the older '0.4mm' nozzle. I just get extruder jams, clicking, and light and failed extrusion through both of the new nozzles, both of which are also supposed to be 0.4mm.