IN DEVELOPMENT BigBox Dual X Carriages (Direct)

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Greg_The_Maker, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

How are you driving the servo?

2. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

With a PWM port on the Duex board and M280 commands...

3. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Hah, that's great with the servo! I saw your designs as I was grabbing the fan STLs.

Which wiper do you find better? I'm using the one that's angled the opposite to your most recent video (i.e. im using the outer most slot).

4. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

The one I am using now is 45°...
    I think I am going back to the one you have which is 60° if I remember correctly...
    There are two things to consider with the angle: if the rubber is too much vertical then the filament tends to stick not just to the rubber but also the mount, if too horizontal then the adjustment is tricky because you have less space where it works without too much force when moving over it... 45° works but the wiping looked better with 60°. For the double wiper 45° was better because with 60° the blocking occurred earlier... So many possibilities. But now with only one rubber strip it cannot block anymore and the servo takes care of stuck filament on the rubber...
    Now I just need some buckets on the lower base and maybe something directing the filament in the buckets so cleaning after a print is faster...

T3P3Tony likes this.
  5. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Tried a test cube, cooling seems good...

[​IMG]

Alex9779 likes this.
  6. W1EBR.Gene

W1EBR.Gene Well-Known Member

Wow! Very impressive compact design!

I hope to be able to make this significant mod after Christmas (too much production I want to accomplish before that :)

Gene

7. W1EBR.Gene

W1EBR.Gene Well-Known Member

Alex, what I found was that you might not need to run a business. I wanted the first 30 day discount, for which I needed a "business" account. They told me, even though it is just for me, to apply and email the application to them and they wouod most likely approve it... so maybe you don't need to be a business...

Gene

8. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah well good news maybe for some other
    Here are my limits of my current config. I still have the carriages designed by Greg as I struggled printing my updated.
    Code:
    M208 X-13.5 Y-37.5 Z0 U62.5 S1 ; Set axis minima
    M208 X273 Y196 Z300 U349 S0 ; Set axis maxima
    So for only left carriage I can do 273*196*300, only right 237.5*196*300 and dual 210.5*196*300.
    I hope to get some more millimeters by removing the side cable mounts and using different motors for the extruders without connectors so the carriages are just a wide as they need to be to carry the Titan and the motor and the fan...
    Dual is significantly smaller than with Hybrid design where you get full 300*200*300 but the achievable quality is much better as adjusting the hotends to each other is not done mechanically but by offsets.

That's why I converted the frame parts Adobe Illustrator file to Inkscape which was not easy to get all the dimensions correct because of some export import stuff between AI and IS... But I think I got it right, document is on Thingiverse, and I am up to modify the the frame to be wider to get back the full build volume without doing any other major change to motion system or anything else, side panels can stay. The plan is to modify it in a way I can reuse everything except the X rods and the Y motor rod. So just bottom base, lower base, upper supports, top, back and front parts will be remodeled. I know that's still a lot but I wanna keep the main design for now.

Mark Curry and Miasmictruth like this.
  9. Springfield-Jack

Springfield-Jack Well-Known Member

Have you considered rotating the heated bed anticlockwise?It will obviously involve some modifications but you wouldn't need to modify the case(much) or change the rods.I have got as far as rotating the glass and thinking, "Hmmmm, could work"!

10. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

You mean that the dimensions would be 200*300 instead of 300*200?
    I don't this this will work too... Just by holding a spare glass plate over the current bed I think I can get the front edge to where the nozzle can go now with my fan shrouds but on the back I think I won't be able to.
    Also for this I would need at least the upper Z support parts if I just drill the base myself. But the Z motors will be a problem, one will sit right where all the cable go into the base and the one in the front collides with the LCD assembly.
    Redesigning the be to keep the motors on the side might be possible but then placing the motors is a problem again because of the electronics board...

11. Springfield-Jack

I mean keep the Z axis as is and rotate only the heated bed and glass, The Z-axis platform would have to be modified to support it and the Y-axis motor may have to go on the outside. the heated bed cable chain would need moving also.

12. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh ok then no problem with motors and rods...
    Still you won't reach the back edge of the bed I think even if the Y motor is outside the case. But worth a closer look... I am going to check that...

13. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Well just looking at the numbers X would be 200 then which should work and able to be fully reached by both carriages if you move the bed slightly more to the right side.
    Calculating Y then now 196 plus 37.5 which is how much I can go over the front edge we will be at 233.5 plus what you can get moving the Y motor outside. So maybe about 240...
    Endresult would be 200*240*300 for everything, left, right or dual...
    Depending on how easy a solution for relocating the bed will be maybe an option if you don't wanna redesign the frame...
    For the glass I have currently no idea but with the Clever3D clip fix plate it may be possible to design a simple clamp so you can move the current stands just to the middle and fix the bed there...

I will think about it and maybe do a few designs but I have concerns that it would be possible to fix the bed reliable and stable with just printed parts.

And my goal for the BB design is to get the max out of the bed again so I am still planning the frame mod...

14. Springfield-Jack

I was planning on using the Zesty Nimble which would allow a smaller carriage.I think a redesign of the Y-axis tensioner would be needed as well.Still in the very early stages of thinking this through :)

15. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

So what about a CORE XXY thing?

16. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Theoretically it is possible to do a CoreXY with a second X carriage and one additional motor.
    But I found this: http://openbuilds.org/builds/openxy.2911/
    which is a cartesian design, each motor drives one axis, no connected movements so no complex motion logic but all motors are stationary...
    You need no special firmware support for this.
    If you'd add an additional carriage to CoreXY you'd have to drive all three motors on every move, two to move the desired carriage in XY and the third to keep the idle carriage in place. Also if you don't the system won't move. NO idea if this will really work in reality...
    This also needs firmware support.
    "OpenXY" is much easier, you need no special firmware support, actually RRF on the DuetWifi can handle three additional axes so without changing the firmware you could build a printer with two Y gantries and two X carriages on each gantry. And that's my plan after the BB frame upgrade...

Stefan likes this.
  17. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

Seems much improved :) as long as 1 hotend can't hit about the full volume I will be happy, duel prints will just have to be smaller

18. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

OK another video... I completed the upgrade, just have to do something with the cables. Both sides are now equipped with servos wiping the wipers after priming or tool change.
    I changed to different servos because the ones I used for testing were not very good, some leftovers of my 10 year old RC helicopter...

19. Tom De Bie

Tom De Bie Well-Known Member

ROFL...That's cool!!!

20. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

Missed dev on this three for a while. Lot of cool stuff. Are you guys still using the tock rumba for these mods or moved to another board?