IN DEVELOPMENT BigBox Dual X Carriages (Direct)

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Greg_The_Maker, Oct 13, 2016.

1. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Alex and T3P3Tony are on Duet. AndyVirus and I are on RUMBA.

2. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

@PsyVision is still on RUMBA, I am on DuetWifi with Duex2...

3. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

So you use the DuetWiFi with the Duetx2 and the PT100 adapter board?
    I was under the impression that the duet2x was not needed. As I only have one, and it was booked for a diamond kossel, it means I need to try and get a second one!!!

4. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

There are not enough drivers on the DuetWiFi so you need the x2 or x5. Only one PT100 board needed.

5. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

For IDEX there are not enough drivers on the Duet...

6. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

I need to get another duet2x then, no problem. Since my BB is making ton of noise, it might be time for a major rebuilt. I need to sift through this thread to find all part or is maybe a stick post with all info already?

7. AndyVirus

AndyVirus Well-Known Member

Also Greg himself I assume is using rumba too.

I just had my DuetWifi and PanelDue 7" arive today so I will be moving to Duet from Rumba.

While Rumba can hapily run IDEX as those of us using Rumba have shown I feel my overall experiance of 3d printing as a whole could be improved by using something with greater capacity for expansion and a more modern interface. This is all based on speculation right now as this is the only 3d printer i have ever used.

That and i like to "do". So this is is something else to do when i have free time.

I have preordered a duex5 so until that turns up ill be down an x axis but looking forward to the new toy. I can live with out X2/U for a few weeks.

#447 AndyVirus, Dec 10, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
    W1EBR.Gene likes this.
  8. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

With a breadboard, some cables and a resistor you can easily connect another driver to start...

wahatever likes this.
  9. AndyVirus

Yes I may do just that (in fact its probable I will) in the interim. Good call!

10. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

Is it the time to have a sticking post with all info for this mod?

11. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't think so because it is by far not straight forward...

12. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

still, it ould make it easier as a reference for development instead of going putting thing together risking making errors were already met

13. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

Following this thread with great interest, will convert to dual X after new year (fingers crossed)

14. AndyVirus

Thread has gone a bit quiet now so I thought id post some pics of what i have been able to achieve just by following this thread.

Initially I added an drv8825 driver to the rumba as it supports 6 drivers. This worked just fine. I have always had a few issues with Marlin and Rumba so i cant put my decision to move to Duet down to anything other than I wanted something more simplistic, reliable and better interface. I did run into issues with greater number of microsteps which also swayed my desicion.

You certainly can run IDEX on the BB with Rumba and is the fastest and simplest route to go.

I have now migrated to Duet with a 7" screen (need to modify the case design for the screen to allow full 300 on Z as max now is 264)
    I dont have the DueX5 yet as they have not shipped yet so just awaiting that to bring life back to the right extruder carriage.

So for anyone looking to go down either road (Marlin or Duet), all the info is in this thread (a little more in the separate Duet thread). I did not make a note of screw lenths so i just got a kit of M3 and M2 bolts from amazon, wire from Maplins and a dupont connector kit (plus a crimp tool) also from Amazon. I would advise against getting the smaller Nema14 motors as the skip steps any time they snag on anything, so far the 18Nm ones work perfectly for me. Got those from uk.stepperonline.com. Endstop switch I got from Maplin but got 5 more from Amazon just incase (ensure you get the right size as i made that mistake too).

Make sure you get plenty of belt too as you wont be able to re-use the ones you have. You need about 1 meter per carriage (cut a length greater than 1m and trim later is my advice here).

Im guessing E3D will do a kit at some point to upgrade but those who are adventurous, I personally would say that you could make the upgrade now if you wished but do remember that it is still in development so there will be issues with certain things but with all the hard work everyone has put in so far even a mere mortal like I have been able to follow along, print out the plastic parts, wire up the new motors and endstop etc and end up with a functional printer again at the end of it and I don't have access to any other printer so if you do then that would make the change a lot less intense (planning and hoping you have not forgot anything before ripping the box apart).

Attached Files:

#454 AndyVirus, Dec 19, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    Stefan, Proto_BB, PsyVision and 2 others like this.
  15. W1EBR.Gene

W1EBR.Gene Well-Known Member

AndyVirus, did you use Greg's original design for it all or did you use any of the mods that Alex or anyone else made?

Gene

16. AndyVirus

I started with Greg's but replaced with modified as i went.
    Go with Alex's modifications. If you go with Greg's original design the motor on the left hand side will not allow you to put the top facia back on and Greg's cooling fan design blows strait down which makes bridging among other things very difficult to near impossible. With the cooling fan design that Alex modelled I am getting great results. Also i am using the wipes modelled by Alex as with Greg's you would need to move the bed forward to get anywhere near where the dump bucket/wipe is located by default. Having wipes at the front is much easier. Also Alex's carriages are a bit thinner and the grip on the belts is tighter.

17. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I have to add that all my designs are WIP. I updated the belt mounts as mine got too tight printing with my UM2 while they have been perfect with the Dual Titan carriages printed on the BB.
    I made another mod other the motor mounts as the bearing mounts have had too much play... That's why I didn't publish them on thingiverse but just linked the Onshape documents... Check carefully what I modified make a test print even if you have only one printer available...

18. Richard Barbosa

Richard Barbosa Well-Known Member

BigBox XLS Frame Remix

Just finished resizing the BigBox frame. Having it cut in Aluminum with Clear Acrylic side panel inserts. Hopefully, it will work correctly with the new dual x carriage development with plenty of room to spare between the base and lower support for any additional electronics.

If anyone is interested in taking a look at what it is going to look like: https://skfb.ly/Yv6S

Will post files and pics once I put it together and see it all fit together perfectly.

#458 Richard Barbosa, Jan 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    Henry feldman likes this.
  19. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

If you don't mind my asking, what is it costing you to get the frame cut from aluminum?

20. W1EBR.Gene

W1EBR.Gene Well-Known Member

So, for all of you who have made the switch, I have a question: Has having a Dual X carriage machine mad a significant difference in your ability to print things which you could not have printed (or printed well) otherwise?

I have not yet used the second extruder on my Dual Hybrid even though there have been times when printing with TPU that having a different support material would have made a huge difference. If I would be making a big improvement, I am game to take the plunge; if it is a minor improvement, I am OK staying with a working machine :)