SOLVED Calibrating E steps

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Alex9779, Apr 18, 2016.

1. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Everybody relaxed now that @Alex9779 is happy? I can now continue with gluing the nuts into the little black beasties and ordering the Titan dual upgrade that was just announced so that I don't have to build the current dual head.

2. Kick2box

Kick2box Well-Known Member

Don't do that, I'm about making a "tut" on youtube showing how to put them easily without glue!

3. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Too late, 140 done! But, it was not too onerous as it kept me out of trouble! :D

4. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

Sticky, yes but I would like to see the Problem and Resolution in post 1 or 1 and 2.... It's nice to read and follow the quest... but for finding the resolution in a almost #100 posts thread is kind of not nice.
    That's why I preffere stuff like stackexchange.com over forums.
    Or a Wiki article.

mike01hu likes this.
  5. Kick2box

Kick2box Well-Known Member

6. Irawan Tri Kusumo

Irawan Tri Kusumo Well-Known Member

While we are talking about Calibrating the E steps, can I ask something else but related ? The build manual only shows how to set it for 1 motor, how about dual ? I could not find in the lcd menu how to set the second motor. Anyone can help me ?

7. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

If you are using the script on the SD, I think there is a second one. If you are using OctoPrint or S3D there is an option to set the active tool head. If you are using the LCD to move an axis (under prepare) there is an option for each Extruder.

8. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Marlin does not support different E steps per extruder at the moment. But when printing with dual you can change them each time in the tool change script.

9. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Crap too slow :p

10. Irawan Tri Kusumo

Irawan Tri Kusumo Well-Known Member

thanks, let me see and try tomorrow..

11. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

Not to raise the dead, but when I went to print with Colorfabb XT I am way over extruding I have my multiplier at .86

@Alex9779 do you notice anything like that when comparing XT to or filament?

Also how are your vertical circales or steep overhangs, I have been having some issue with that aswell with XT.

12. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nope... printing it with .95

13. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

I'm extruding XT at 0.9 extrusion multiplier (non-Titan extruder).

The only trouble I have with XT regarding steep overhangs is that, with it's relatively high nozzle temperature it's difficult to use much fan without encountering thermal runaway. And fan is what makes steep things work well.

Helps to orientate the part to catch as much fan as possible on the relevant feature.

14. Miasmictruth

I encased the heat bock with 1/4 wide Kapton Tape, I can now run the fan at 100% with no issue. However the overhangs still could be better.
    I only bought the filament for printing the 1.1 so I will just leave it as is instead of fiddling any more with XT, too expensive lol.

15. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Have you seen RichRaps latest video? it shows a silicon boot that goes over the E3D V6 block, this helps with stopping the filament sticking to the nozzle but also help insulate the block and thus I guess help prevent thermal runaway.

16. Miasmictruth

Haven't seen the video but I believe on reddit Sanjay said it would be weeks if not months before its in the store. I plan on making one manually based on this until I can buy the real ones http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1520261

17. Syko_Symatic

Syko_Symatic Well-Known Member

I am struggling with the esteps on the Titan. When doing he adjusted calculation I get a wildly different number than the standard one. I noticed others came up against something similar and wondered if someone had a solution.
    Also could someone point me to where the SD card files are stored?

18. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

The calculation is theoretical. There is an detailed formula here. But the best way is to extrude and measure... Just extrude slowly so the pressure in the nozzle doe not counter the extrusion length. For a real raw value you can measure without nozzle but extruding with heat and melting filament and at least some pressure gives you a more practical value when actually printing....

19. Syko_Symatic

Syko_Symatic Well-Known Member

I have been trying to calibrate it through the volcano but I come up very short on the 100mm. Yet I seem to be able to print nicely afte upping the flow rate as required. I just wish I could get the esteps sorted.

20. Steven

Steven Well-Known Member

I concur! I too have not had consistent results. Using RC3 on a BB-1.0 Dual with dual volcanoes.