chimera etc nozzle spacing

Discussion in 'Multi-Extrusion' started by mole51, May 2, 2017.

1. mole51

mole51 Member

ok I'm new to this but have been an electronics r&d engineer for 40+yrs

what are the criterior (pro's & con's) for the distance between nozzles on a chimera type stup?

obviously wide enough to fit the separate heater blocks but what advantages or disadvantages of wider or closer spacing?

malcolm

2. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

Advantage to smaller distance is better usage of space. So you don't loose as much print area. Another advantage is simple nozzle height adjustment which can be a pain in dual printing. I'm considering Chimera my self but as the distance is so narrow It's difficult to have two direct extruders on a chimera. This is no issue with bowden.

In my mind the biggest disadvantage is the difficulty of having dual direct extruders. Another slight disadvantage is the silicone socks are a very tight fit. Some have cut off one side on one sock so it's still doable.

I'm seriously considering dual flex3drive or zesty nimble and a Chimera.

3. mole51

mole51 Member

thanks for the reply

no surprises as we seem to have exactly the same reasoning....

as for the direct feeder, I am working on a cheap dual feeder at the moment and so far the nozzles can be the same distance as the chimera.... personally I don't like bowden as my requirement is for intermittent use (too ill to make a lot of use) and a quick mounting for 1.75 and 2.8mm... the biggest problem is wanting to use very flexible filament and very high temperature filament, both of which can be problems with bowden

malcolm