Duet Wifi has been a blessing!

Discussion in 'Show off' started by Stian Indal Haugseth, May 8, 2017.

1. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

From never being satisfied with the BigBox and Rumba with either Marlin or Repetier I'm impressed how easy things are now with Duet Wifi and PanelDue.

It is worth the money and some more because things just work and David Crocker (@dc42) is always ready to help. In The Duet forum and here as well!

I got mesh bed leveling with the Bigbox IR-probe (Davids probe) on alu bed painted with PEI and every print (10-20) has been spot on on the first layer after initial tuning. Then it's really simple to change the Z-offset by gcode and in config.

I struggled with dual Z stepper drivers and dual Z endstops (max) in Marlin and Repetier. With a little help Davig got a workaround working perfect until this will be a supported feature. I really do not need better support than the workaround as it does the job in a very simple matter.

Whenever I want to print now I do not even bother to be at the printer. I just go check a few minutes later to see it prints as it should.

2. Stian Indal Haugseth

And the second best is not having to recompile for every little change!!!!!

3. Julian64

Julian64 Active Member

I built a big box maybe six months ago, must have done a nearly a hundred prints by now. I'm on the original rumba and borosilicate glass.
    I had a little problem to start with adjusting everything. I haven't bothered with mesh levelling. I started with using glue but then after some advice just printed onto the glass

I really haven't had a problem. I've never needed to stay and watch anything . My longest print was 9 hours. I have never had a single mucked up print since I stopped using the glue yet, and I don't have any damage on my glass. And the machine just does its bed height at the start and off it goes.

I've really been impressed with the way that this was a kit of parts, but so well designed that it just went together with no fuss, and outperforms every 3printer bought OTC that I know. My son had a project at school and they have three ultimakers. He came home one weekend wanting to try a new part and commented that the finish was much better than the ultimaker he is used to at school. I tried to show off early on and printed a nut and bolt at M3 with a 0.5 thread pitch for him to take to school to show the teacher. Apparently the teacher was so impressed that it came back in two parts and the teacher attempted to clamp with it until it finally broke with some effort from the spanner.. It was one of the first test prints I did, and I've not adjusted the machine since.

I just think I've been very lucky.

4. Stian Indal Haugseth

@Julian64, good one! I have been experimenting and testing stuff. I used plain glass before and glue but the alu and PEI works wonders I think. Then dual Z endstops to level the Z-motors. I have kids and was afraid they might turn the Z couplers.

5. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

Any chance of a How-To on what you did with the Z endstops? It sounds really interesting :)

6. Stian Indal Haugseth

#6 Stian Indal Haugseth, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 9, 2017
    Paul Begley, AndyVirus and Ephemeris like this.
  7. AndyVirus

AndyVirus Well-Known Member

I have to agree, since changing from Rumba to Duet, my box just works! Maybe i was not tuning my steppers correctly with those little screws, maybe i was just to novice i general, who knows. Since I went DuetWifi, extrusion is nicer and more consistent, movement is relable (no surprise carriage crashes for no good reason) and just generally easier to user day to day (7" touch screen helps alot over a twiddly twiddler)

Second best thing i did was start using Clever3D PEI coated aluminium bed... takes a bit of getting used to but my first layers have never been so flat. almost no curling ever now...

Love the Z Max endstops... Will have to do this too! Already have the wires ran to the bed for the optical endstop for Z Min when i thought it might be a god idea to place it there... with DuetWifi though it is so useful on the x carriage for bed levelling (manual and auto)

Stian Indal Haugseth likes this.
  8. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Wouldn't the z-max endstop have been easier to wire by having the switch at the bottom? Was just thinking about a z-max endstop when I spotted this thread.

9. Stian Indal Haugseth

Was pretty easy to thread a slightly stiff wire through the cable guide and tape the signal wires on. And the added bonus is that I can also use them as Z min endstops.

10. Stian Indal Haugseth

And with Duet fw 1.19 there will be auto leveling of multiple Z motors by Z probe