E-Steps

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by cez, Jan 17, 2017.

1. cez

cez Well-Known Member

Where is the best place to measure from when calculating esteps on a Titan-Bowden set up?

2. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

I'd measure at the point the filament enters the top(probably bottom in reality) of the Titan. Given how awkward that might be, I created this little thing to hold the wire taut to help get the measurement right - http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1876946

3. cez

cez Well-Known Member

Its super awkward :( what's your method?) remove bowden tube from top of titan, hold stick up to filament flush with extruder and mark off at the top?

4. Spoon Unit

Put filament inside stick. Move along until it's touching the titan entry. Mark. Extrude. Measure. Compute.

cez likes this.
  5. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I recommend using a short piece of tube in the Titan lever because it is essential that the filament is always centered on the hobb.
    That's what a lot of people have done now. Just insert a piece of about 15mm so that you are able to grab and remove it when you need to but otherwise leave it where it is. Still feed the filament through a tube, that is for the direct Titans. On the bowden Titan you don't need another tube. And then just feed the filament all through the extruder.
    This has several advantages. Firstly the filament is centered and guided when entering the Titan. Retraction also benefits from that because when the extruder pushed the filament back it just has to deal with the friction of the short tube piece and the whole long part can just move up...

6. Spoon Unit

Totally agree, I'm glad I spotted that in a video or image at some point. Just not sure how this pertains to measuring e-steps?

7. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

If you remove the tube and the filament is not centered on the hobb then the effective radius which drives the filament is different.
    So you need less rotations of the hobb to extrude the same amount of filament --> less esteps while calibration. When you then center your filament with a tube again all your calibration is worth nothing...
    Even worse the filament can move while extruding so you change the driving diameter continuously...

cez likes this.
  8. Spoon Unit

Right. Yes. I see where you're coming from. Ideally fitting the small piece of PTFE should be part of the build manual. It's too useful not to be done, apparently for more reasons than I'd considered.