E3D's BigBox 3D Printer - Plans & Parts List.

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Greg_The_Maker, Apr 27, 2016.

1. RTBiscuit

RTBiscuit Well-Known Member

Thanks greg, had found that link, but was unsure which file was specific to the outside frame, the first few i opened were 3D print parts.

I shall download all and work my way through.

2. Grigori

Grigori Member

Hello, I could not find any technical information on springs which are using in BigBox.
    And also could not identify the correct lead screw. My guess is 4 start, 2 lead... is it correct?

3. Greg_The_Maker

Greg_The_Maker Administrator
    Staff Member

It's doesn't really matter which leadscrews you go for. Just adjust the steps-per-mm to compensate. The only real important part, if there is one, is that they are 8mm in diameter.

The first screws we have were 2mm pitch, the second batch were 8mm pitch.

The same goes for the springs, use what you have around that will fit. If nothing fits extrapolate from that data and look for something that does :)

4. Bo Herrmannsen

Bo Herrmannsen Active Member

am i wrong or is there something with the model that @TstarkEngineering made in SW?

i tried to import the files in Fusion 360 and it makes an error report that i cant open (not SW fault) and the model looks very uncomplete

it's translation errors, they happen even if i try to upload the backplate files

#84 Bo Herrmannsen, Nov 15, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  5. Bo Herrmannsen

for the fun of it i have started to collect printed parts, hardware and dxf's in fusion 360

one funny thing is that the cork dxf's do not open correctly

the front y axis part are about 838x609mm but should be arround 33x24mm

anybody that can give a hint as to what is going on?

EDIT: when fusion imports the DXF it does so with inch as default, if inserting the DXF and picking mm everything works fine

6. Bo Herrmannsen

#86 Bo Herrmannsen, Nov 16, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  7. Bo Herrmannsen

Q.... was the BigBox ever made in a version with dual titan direct? or is the hybrid term because one extruder was direct and the other was bowden? going through this page right now https://wiki.e3d-online.com/BigBox_Printer_Sub-assemblies

but there is a limit in mcmaster carr so have to wait until i can import more nuts and bolts

8. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

So far as I know, there was the original 1.0 dual using a printed dual extruder and the 1.1 which was the hybrid.

Chase Wichert designed the dual Titan direct which many of us successfully used. For my own reasons I redesigned Chase' design and considered it a moderate improvement. More recently I redesigned it to use mirrored Titans to bring the nozzles closer together.

9. Bo Herrmannsen

the reason why i ask all these questions are that i feel/think that the build info (https://wiki.e3d-online.com/BigBox_Build_Manual) leave out a lot of things).

it could be that i look in the wrong places also, but i know that this is no longer supported so whatever i end up with will be brain picking from different people

what does the hybrid part of the name mean? my plan so far is still to go through the rest of the build pages and collect cad models for all printed parts and hardware, once i think i have it all i will try and build up a dual titan

in the end the plan is to build one and also publish the work in fusion 360

10. Bo Herrmannsen

hit a small road block, the printed cover for the IEC socket, i could not find it in either the Hybrid_v1.1.0..stp or bigbox_v1.1.0.stp

will look in to the other files but think i'm a bit out of luck

11. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

Everything should be there but some of it is oddly filed. In any case I think the attached file is the original.

If you have issues, either Potti5 or myself can probably point you in the right direction.

Attached Files:

12. Bo Herrmannsen

you dont have to happen the step/stp version of the file? they are at least 10 times more easy to work with in Fusion360

while on the subject of Fusion where is the optimal spot to post about progress in case anyone is interested, i would also asume that posting the progress makes it more easy to get help

13. Bo Herrmannsen

if not much mistaken it should be here inside the red circle:

those are the bigbox_v1.1.0.stp from the step.zip found on thingiverse

14. Bo Herrmannsen

so far for each of the printed parts i have located them either in bigbox_v1.1.0.stp or Hybrid_v1.1.0..stp and saved them as individual parts so i can make a virtual build in fusion to confirm that every single part (wires excluded) are there and it will also give me a count on how many nuts and fastners is needed.

is the direct dual titan among the "upgrades" because i cant see it in any of the build manual pages

15. Bo Herrmannsen

moving along slowly i only found one error in the dxf's for for the cork on y axis brackets, the holes do not lign up perfecttly but its an easy fix

to make the model perfect i miss spec's on the orings in the hybrid x carriage, anyone that knows those?

16. Bo Herrmannsen

at the main assembly state now, so far i miss spec's on the o-rings in the carriage, the stp/step file for the mains socket cover

during the assembly process (doing it visual for now in Fusion 360) there where one missing step for one of the x carraige bar clamps, but other than that it has been a "smooth" process but very boring putting every nut and washer in there

only thing i skipped are the drag chain, i would have liked to put in a model of the end bits but i could not find a model that fits in the printed part

17. UlrichKliegis

UlrichKliegis Well-Known Member

Bo, did you ever finish and publish this work?