IDEAS Enclosed BigBox

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by AndyVirus, Oct 5, 2017.

1. AndyVirus

AndyVirus Well-Known Member

I am thinking of ways of enclosing the bigbox, not placing it in an enclosure but making its case an enclosure. This is to eliminate drafts that warp some materials, provide ventilation for the smallier filliments and becuase i want to see if it is possible.

I am thinking it is simpe enough to print “plugs” for the holes such as unused motor mounts, 1 & 2 cut outs (i have side spools on bearings so dont use the rear spool holders now) and others.
    The side cut outs can be put back in detailed in other threads but i would put rubber bands or something round the edges to make a seal.
    The electronics fan, i dont use with Duet. Happy to print a non fan sealed electronics cover.

The harder part is the front and top.

The top i have seen a kind of Accordian type afair to allow the X gantry to move with the tubes and wires coming out the top. I do wonder about the noise of such a setup.

The front i was thinking a simple single hinged door in Accrilic. Now to Achive this the door had to clear the front panel and have a static lower panel that wraps arounf the screen OR move the sceen from its location, block of the remaining hole.

For the screen i use a 7” PanelDue. What would be perfect would be the type of setup on pop out dashboard screens (the single DIN type). This would allow for the screen to hide inside the base of the bigbox when not needed (prevent the little-uns hitting emergency stop etc) and pop out on a spring and into the correct angled position when needed. I think it is this bit i will struggle with the most but its just myt first idea.

I was thinking for the X motors to place a wall of sorts up to the top X rods (MGN12 rail in my case now) and either a brush type draft excluder or accordian type thing again to prevent the motors being enclosed. Airflow for the X motors can come frome the many side holes. The Y Motor, have not thought about but enclose it off and ensure air flow to it.

Finally I would introduce as quiet as possible air intake fan(s) at the front in the base where the electronics are (with mesh filters) which may be able to be controlled via PWM on the DuetWifi to ensure electronics do not overheat. Extract already there so may think about having that controlled by PWM based on CPU temp/stepper warnings.

What do you think, stupid idea, give up now or yeah that could work?

All ideas welcome. Not sure i will have time to get round to doing anything soon but if it is viable then planning can be done. My CAD skills are limited but I am learning (OnShape) so plugs and what not shoudl not be an issue, the screen part will be the challange for sure, the rest in my head should be doable but i may be missing something obvious?

2. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

I was thinking of a giant plastic bag to enclose the lot, supported at the top to avoid contact with the arc of the cables and filament. Using a fan for positive pressure to keep it inflated and a few small vents for exhaust air, although with a few leaks these may not be necessary.

Access would be a problem if there was a problem during printing, but if it needed intervention then this would probably be too late to save the print anyway.

3. AndyVirus

I suppose the other issue would be part cooling fans. Would the pressure be great enough to give a cooling affect if enclosed? Would the stepper motors get too hot and would the blower fans/part cooling fans get to hot?

4. AndyVirus

Also I guess the amount of nut traps to be plugged would be a chore.... Forgot about those. Still plausible to do though i think.

5. Greg_The_Maker

Greg_The_Maker Administrator
    Staff Member

We have been using one for about a year now. We have the front blocked off with a 3mm thick sheet of clear acrylic. It is held in place with magnets.

Having the front and sides blocked off works very well. Simply by stopping the air from getting in from underneath is surprisingly effective at keeping the heat in.

Block off the holes with tape, fill in the side panels and then cover the front. That will work just fine. If you want to go through the extra faff of putting a lid on then let me know how it goes :)

Jari likes this.
  6. AndyVirus

Simpsons quote "Magnets... Always with the Magnets"

I have a load of neodymium magnets at home from a failed project so will start with your idea a see how it goes.

7. AndyVirus

Ok, so my end solution after looking at all options i could think of was...a Grow Tent.

I purchased one 120x60x200 cm which houses my Ikea Alex which my Bigbox sits on and a storage unit for filaments etc.

Put a rechargeable disacant thingy in there for good mesure to keep it all dry when sealed up.

This has the benefit of having extract holes already for removing nasties if i wanted to zip up and print to prevent breeze warping asa/abs/matx/pla etc.

Have reels hanging above printer which works very well.

I just need to put in a window in the door now so i could print zipped up.

Few sensors in there and should be perfect for my needs. Keep bugs off my tools and equipment and sealed up to prevent moisture getting trapped when not inuse.

Foil lined so wifi to duetwifi is wrecked but will figure that out another day. Sd card is fine for now.

IMG_0600.jpg IMG_05995.jpg

#7 AndyVirus, Jun 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    Greg_The_Maker likes this.