Glueing Edge to other materials

Discussion in 'Filament' started by ant0ny, Sep 23, 2017.

1. ant0ny

ant0ny Member

I did a few searches and only ended up with one to two unanswered questions.

I have a part I have printed in Edge and I would like to glue it into a PVC conduit fitting. Has anyone got any suggestions to the best adhesive.

The fitting will be subjected to 80psi, air only and is pressure regulated at 80psi.

Thanks

2. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

Ooooch........ 80 psi in a printed part, is it possible to test this in a safe environment and at say double the working pressure?

The problem with air pressure, compared say with hydraulic pressure is the stored energy. Get a leak in hydraulics and the pressure drops very very quickly as the hydraulic fluid is incompressible. With air it's different, lots of energy goes into compressing it so when it leaks maybe you are ok, if it breaks then all this energy goes into sending a part flying like a bullet.

Using glue suggests a joint of two parts butted together (very difficult if not impossible to make mechanically safe) whereas any pressure fitting in industry is say a rubber hose fitted onto a metal spigot and held by a metal clip mechanically compressed into place.

Unless the part needed is impossible to make in metal, and it also screws in or is in another way made safe, i.e. not butted together then I would not be happy with a glued butt joint. At worst I would want some way to hold the parts together with some form of metal fastening that could not come apart.

Hopefully I'm wrong about the way this is to be assembled but I would make it in metal or buy a part.

3. ant0ny

ant0ny Member

The part is a prototype not a production or part to be used by just anyone. It fits into standard PVC fittings so the glued surface area is huge. This has been tested in PLA and glued into the fittings with a few different glues and the last was CA, then test to 100psi.

The issue with PLA is it doesn't hold air pressure but as a prototype it did the job. The customer wanted a better sample to show off at a up and coming event while waiting for the parts to be CNC machined in PVC... so I thought I'd try Edge... thus the question.

Ok to answer my own question... Weldon 40 seems to be the first option to try.