Gregs BigBox IDEX Titan Aero With Linear Rail

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by EASI3D, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

I plan to include a BLTouch mount for v6 and volcano for mine. The Rail is here, the Ends and quick swap extuder mount are printed, I just have to triple check I have everything else I need before I start disassembling my bigbox

2. Julian64

Julian64 Well-Known Member

Okay is everyone using supports for the fan duct. Want to try and limit how much mess is left in the cavity. Was thinking of separating?
    Simplify covers everything in support by default. So much so I'd have no idea how to get it all out.

3. potti5

potti5 Well-Known Member

You dont need supports for fan duct. Just rotate 180 degree in x-axis and print it :)

4. Julian64

Okay thanks all printed. Going to try put one working side in this weekend. Cant decide whether to try and use the slimline nema17 motors that e3d sell with the aero or the larger standard nema17.

5. AndyVirus

AndyVirus Well-Known Member

Not sure if the original extruder motors will fit. Have not messured. Is there enough room to use 40 or 48mm (i forget the body length now) long motors and mount the cooling blower at the rear?

6. Julian64

Nope original motors are too deep and the shaft isn't long enough. Slimline motors fit okay but look like they are crying out for one of greg's famous modifications
    20170928_141906.jpg

7. AndyVirus

@Alex9779 Where you thinking the ir sensor would be best incorperated? easy enough to fit at the back (i think) but is there anywhere near the hot end possible? (at alex as i think he is looking at the same issue, otherwise anyone chime in)

#47 AndyVirus, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  8. Greg_The_Maker

Greg_The_Maker Administrator
    Staff Member

they are designed for 34mm body motors.....

9. Julian64

Yep completely understand this, I just want to use the cool slimline motors E3D sell rather than get the 34 body motors. Just wondering whether to assemble as above or warm up solidworks for a modification now.

BTW the drag chains arrived and are huge. The link on thingiverse is for 10x15 which is internal diameter on your ebay link. The drag chain I ordered therefore don't seem to turn in the space needed. Currently scanning ebay for a smaller fitment. Just a be ware for anyone else ordering from the link to check

10. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

At the back is the fan. I want to kee the front clear too because I am still thinking of making a differen fan duct or even two fans to have that two side cooling again, which IMHO makes a huge difference on certain parts and features.
    I didn't design anything yet, but I was thinking of placing it on the left edge of the left carriage. As far as I can see when the carriage is on its home position there is space on the left side:
    BB IDEX Rail_2.PNG
    A mount for the sensor which is mounted just like the fan on the bottom but on the side...

I ordered all my parts yesterday now, cancelled the initial order of the rail because I ordered 495mm but then realized that 520 will also fit.

So maybe I have more by the end of this day for the sensor mount because I want to be ready when the parts arrive next or in two weeks...

11. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

12. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I made a variation where the sensor is mounted towards the hotend too:
    BB IDEX Rail_4.PNG

13. AndyVirus

DHL just told me my Misumi rail just turned up so I will be making the switch this weekend (bar fans am im not using them now and need longer ducts which i have not got round to attempting, and also living in hope of someone with more skill than I to save me the hair pulling).
    I will try and create an ir mount prior to the switch so i dont have to change to manual bed levelling or moving the ir sensor back to the bed (though the wire is already there from when i tried it so could be an option in the short term).

Quick question... how/do you secure the rail at each end?

Edit: Just saw Alexs post.... will have a look and see if a mooch can be achived

14. AndyVirus

Very nice! Could I be the guinea pig and give them a go? If mounted toward the hotend would kapton tape be needed to help defect some of the heat of the hotend? Mine have socks might be ok.

15. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

I have had the IR towards the hot-end for some time now and it keeps accumulating micro dust particles or some residue from melting plastic. A very thin coating of a fine gray material. Might be ordinary dust for all I know. So I would recommend it being away from any blowing air as this sticks on the optical components.

16. AndyVirus

Makes sense. I have this fine white/grey powder that seems to stick to the right bottom of the Aero heatsink, just above the heater. Yeah would not want that on the IR bits. Face away makes sense and is still waaay closer to the nozel then i have it now.

17. Hugofitz

Hugofitz Active Member

18. AndyVirus

I find the IR sensor on black Clever3D PEI bed to be rock solid and near 100% repeatable. Never tried the bltouch as never needed to. Its also compact and not a monster with moving parts that must wear out eventually

19. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I had nothing else than bad experience with the BLTouch... Two bed grid runs with the Duet gave me two totally different results. I tried to figure out the issues, pin rotation on too fast movements was one, but didn't get to where I wanted to be... So back to the good old ID that came with the BigBox because my second one newer revision died becasue of my stupidness...
    And you are right, with the black PEI plate I get nearly 98% repeatablilty...

20. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

No idea, it is still "far" away. On my current setup it is much closer... I think there is a number somewhere what the closest distance should be...

Here you go...

1 is basically just the "normal" design extended with the mount so it can be mounted.
    2 is turned it and removed all the stuff on the sides...

Attached Files: