Guinea Pigs Required!

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Greg_The_Maker, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Greg_The_Maker

Greg_The_Maker Administrator
    Staff Member

I have tweaked and refined the BigBox Dual S3D Profile.

Before I pop it onto the wiki it could do with a little testing!

It will work just as well for both dual and standard printing, no need to use different profiles. In fact it will work for the Pro & Lite machines too, but there would be little point to that!

If you're interested download if from | https://www.dropbox.com/s/zp7fcd50eam1qxz/Dual 1.1.fff?dl=0

Please make sure you have followed through the updated and now complete commissioning process. I have added in nozzle alignement, nozzle levelleling, extruder offset and mesh bed levelling instructions. To get the full effect you'll need to have gone through all of those processes | http://wiki.e3d-online.com/wiki/Printer_Commissioning#Dual_Nozzle_Alignment

Any problems, comments or suggestions please post here.

2. Chase.Wichert

Chase.Wichert Well-Known Member

Hey Greg, you have two fan off pictures, the first one, then another one 2 steps down, not sure if you meant to put a different picture there or not, on the dual nozzle alignment

3. Paul Seccombe

Paul Seccombe Well-Known Member

Squeak, squeak.....This guinea pig will have a play with it, possibly won't be able to play until Saturday though.

4. Greg_The_Maker

Staff Member

Well spotted! The correct image has been uploaded, it might take a few minutes to update and overwrite the cache.

5. Archania

Archania Well-Known Member

Send me my dual and I'll gladly test it for you :)

6. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok, loading up the second hotend now and squeaking like a pig

7. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Edit: Scratch that, I think I must have got the wrong button somehow!

@Greg Holloway - just gone to do an extrude through E1 and it's spinning the wrong way. I noticed this in the firmware committed in Jan:

-#define INVERT_E1_DIR true
    +#define INVERT_E1_DIR false

#7 PsyVision, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  8. Greg_The_Maker

Staff Member

can you expand on what you have done? What code is running?

9. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

So i've not used my second hotend for a while so i was just running some filament into it. I clicked extrude and it span clockwise, which is the wrong way.

I flashed the firmware thinking it should be going the other way and then it was still wrong. I've put the original firmware back and then clicked Exturde in S3D and its still spinning the wrong way. Both extrude and retract make the right hand extruder spin clockwise.

Edit: And now it's fine!! Very weird. Leave it with me and I'll report back in a bit.

10. Springfield-Jack

Springfield-Jack Well-Known Member

I've had this happen when using Octoprint!

11. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

@Greg Holloway I've got this printing a dual colour traffic cone at the moment. Few problems getting it going, few head crashes but running okay now. Will post some photos when it is done.

I would recommend putting a G28 and a T0 in your start script, do you think? I don't think you have this in some of the other profiles. Having this being set properly at the start prevented my head crashing.

mike01hu likes this.
  12. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

Just did a test print, I used my right extruder and at start and end it hit the dock area briefly. I should probably use left as primary.

Overall quality is improved and the annoying zits I was trying to get rid of are gone!

IMG_20160311_195157.jpg
    Left benchy - old profile, speed of 70mm and travel speed of 100, restart 0.05 were main changes from out of the box settings. Also was tightening belts as this printed.
    Right benchy - new profile, changed speed up to 65mm/s and I think outline underspeed up to 80% (was it 50% before or something).

Next time I should just leave it as is but I can't help myself with tweaking!

PsyVision likes this.
  13. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Great improvement!

Pierce likes this.
  14. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

Indeed, the zits were driving me mad I couldn't work out what I had done wrong to the settings :) I have a small fleet of benchy's on my desk now

15. JohnEsc

JohnEsc Well-Known Member

@Greg Holloway Coral, the hedgehog, is really offended by this title! :)

16. Chase.Wichert

My head keeps running into the back wall, it doesn't line up with the docking cut out in the top... It ends up going too far to the right.. It seems like x105 is too far to the right, not sure why it makes a difference what tool is up, the x70 works well, but when it tries to do x105 that's way too far over.

#16 Chase.Wichert, Mar 12, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  17. Chase.Wichert

Nevermind I think I figured it out, the dual profile is strictly for dual printing, basically. I changed the default extruder to extruder 1 instead of extruder 2, so with the offset of 35mm, it is trying to put the left extruder at 105, instead of the right extruder at 105....

18. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

I think I have my offset set wrong as well so will test again today and see if that resolves it.

@Chase.Wichert don't forget in S3D at least the extruders use computer numbering and start with e0 as the first one!

19. Greg_The_Maker

Staff Member

The profile has been made on the assumption that the left side extruder is the primary (T0). I have also made the assumption that you have autohomed and levelled the machine beforehand.

There is also scripting where you can set the steps-per-mm for each extruder;

;extruder steps per mm
    ;{IF NEWTOOL=0}M92 E320 ;adjust steps per mm for your filament in extruder 0 (L)
    ;{IF NEWTOOL=1}M92 E320 ;adjust steps per mm for your filament in extruder 1 (R)

remove the ; in front to enable the feature. Obviously you'll need to have calibrated the filament to match the extruder.

Pierce likes this.
  20. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

Another guinea pig reporting for duty. I have managed to setup the dual head extrusion with the Thingiverse calibration target and the Dual 1.1 profile. The only problem I had was lining up the heads. I finally managed to level them by lowering the heads to the heatbed and tighten the crub screw of the right head while (gently) pushing the head down. At first I adjusted the Y-offset the wrong way, but for the rest it was a piece of cake :) IMG_20160312_121947.jpg

#20 Rob Heinzonly, Mar 12, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2016