Hardened Nozzle vs Copper Plated Nozzle

Discussion in 'General' started by danielogc, Jan 5, 2017.

1. danielogc

danielogc Member

So with the newly introduced Copper Plated Nozzle, how does it compare to the hardened nozzles with respect to wear resistance to PLA/ABS as well as to the various filled (aka abrasive) filaments?

2. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Heat transfer is good but wear is not as good as the brass and a lot worse than the hardened steel ones.

3. danielogc

danielogc Member

The newsletter introducing the copper plated heat blocks and nozzle described it as having very good thermal conductivity and reduced resistance to flow. Good conductivity would contribute to reaching and maintaining the melt flow temp with ease and together with reduced resistance to flow I gathered that should result in less wear.

Perhaps it might not be as good as the hardened nozzles when printing filled filaments, but I think it should outlast brass nozzles with the non-filled filaments. I was hoping E3D could shed some light on this. I am sure they had done a ton of R&D with their products.

Less clogging and easier to clean is a bonus but otherwise this is only good for high temperature filaments.

4. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

The copper heat block is much better and the plated copper nozzles are also fine and the nickel plating will have slightly better wear characteristic than brass, so may be a good choice for faster extrusion. Wear is generally accelerated by the filler such as carbon fibre and hard metal fillers irrespective of temperature but other fillers won't cause a problem; there are references to this on YouTube if you search.