HELP: E3D Ultimaker Upgrade Kit issues

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by vaderpainter studios, Feb 4, 2017.

1. vaderpainter studios

I recently upgraded both of my Ultimaker 2 Extended+ printers to the E3D Ultimaker Upgrade Kit. One is brand new (unused) and the other is only a few months old (used weekly). After following the instructions and video online and upgrading the firmware as instructed both machines have the same issues:

1) It seems they both have issues when trying to print using a SD card thru Simplify 3D (I did try to use the same Cura version that I used to install the new firmware per the instructions and the exact same thing happened). When using the provided Ultimaker SD card the machines will go thru the steps to heat the bed and then nozzle but once the print is to start the bed trys to move up a couple times and never does. It acts like it binding and then they both say the print is out of distance and they shut down. I can use the exact same file with a USB cable provided and it works fine by just clicking on the print thru USB button, nothing else, and it works fine. I have tried different SD cards, deleted all files from the cards and tried only cards with the E3DV6 EEPROM default.gcode and the same thing happens. I am at a loss as to what the issue might be since it involves both my machines.

2) Both machines make a strange squealing noise from the Titan extruder when either installing of removing filament. The filament never really moves like it used to before the upgrade and I either have to manually run it up to the hot head before printing or remove it manually when changing filament it only moves either way about 5 inches then goes thru a stop and start for a couple more inches before stopping completely. When starting prints I have to manually feed the filament till it comes out of the nozzle to get a good first flow, once I get the filament going it usually works fine.

Since this is happening on both my machines after installing the upgrade perhaps others have had the same issue? Could these issues be something to do with the firmware upgrade? If so, is there an alternate firmware version I need to install?

I really would like to be able to print using the SD card and without remembering to make sure my filament is flowing. I can’t continue to tie up my only laptops on really long prints. Thanks in advance for your help!