hit 30mms/3 with a pancake

Discussion in 'Titan' started by lance, Dec 11, 2016.

1. lance

lance Well-Known Member

I've got a titan and V6 volcano on one of our printers and recently put a pancake on it to see how hard it could be pushed and with 1.75 filament and a 1.2mm nozzle running 900 micron layer height at 30 mm a second managed to get a volumetric flow of 30 mms/3. the drive wheel was perfectly clean, no ground out filament at all and it didnt seem anywhere close to hitting its max push. next goal is try for 40 :p

[​IMG]

the pink vase is the print that was done with these settings, and for reference it is half a meter tall and printed in 3 and a half hours!

2. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

Which specific stepper motor are you testing?

3. lance

lance Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

this one

Rob Heinzonly likes this.
  4. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Did you change the voltage settings on you driver for that pancake stepper? If so, what voltage did you set it to?

5. Ephemeris

That stepper has a rating of 1 amp max per coil. With an A4988 driver the maximum Vref = Imax/2.5. That means Vref = 0.4 volts or less.

danzca6 likes this.
  6. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

surely that should be mm3/s? apologies for the potential pedantry, but also still new enough to this game to know I could simply be misunderstanding something

7. Ephemeris

mm^3/s is what I assumed as well

8. lance

lance Well-Known Member

actually the printer it is on was entirely gutted and refitted with new electronics and new everything else and we just plugged it all in and it worked, never even crossed my mind to check the driver voltages, although they are apparantly good seeing as everything runs so smoothly.

I wonder what the correct voltage is for a pancake like this, would it be around 0.6v?

9. Ephemeris

Please my post above. If you are using the stock A4988 stepper drivers with OMC 17HS08-1004S (1.8deg 20mm 13Ncm) steppers, 0.6 V is TOO HIGH! Burning out the stepper is not ideal :)

10. lance

lance Well-Known Member

Really? so far I've been pushing 40mm3/s out with it, printing big vases. and its probably had 10kg of filament through it so far, will lowering it reduce that performance? I just checked it and its set to 0.57. i also just checked the xyz steppers and they are 0.84. they are the steppers that came standard on the machine, its a wanhoe duplicator 5S, although the board was transplanted from a DYI i3 kit from sunhonkey. the pancake is also exceptionally well cooled if that helps at all, cooler than ambient temperature.

[​IMG]

11. Ephemeris

Cooling is a plus. Vref is a function of the stepper drive type. My calculation above was based on the most common driver, the A4988. If you're using something else, the conversion from Imax to Vref is different.