Large Format 3d Printer Options?

Discussion in 'General' started by Miasmictruth, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

I have a company I work with, recently they asked me if I knew of a printer that can print a part around 3 feet long. Currently I don't but I was thinking maybe using a frame and motion system like an X Carve for the X and Y, then a Z axis like the bigbox, and of coarse a titan and V6 and Volcano Nozzles.

One area I am gray on is how to work a heat bed that long.

Anyone have any input or know if kits that big?

2. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

Kits? or orderable printers? The guys at GorillaMaker made a 1 cubic meter printer, that wasn't crazy expensive ($10k) that could extrude 16kg/hr of filament (4 spools if I recall). They were showing it at MakerFaire NYC this year. Here is my son standing next to it:

[​IMG]

3. Miasmictruth

WOW! That is enormous! I think I can go a little smaller then that :) most of the length is in one axies.

I can design something, however if the was an (kit/orderable printer) that fit the bill and is known to work well then I could pitch it to him, although for 10k I am sure he will pass and continue to live life without it.

4. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

5. Miasmictruth

Wow, maybe I should have titled it medium format lol. :)

6. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

The challenge is you want to print a meter object, and complete before the heat death of the universe, you need something else to speed up the prints. It's not just a big thick gantry, it's also high speed extruders, a hot end that can melt like a zamboni and the ability to have large amounts of filament in the printer.

7. Miasmictruth

I know, I was thinking to try a volcano I have plenty around to try, guess I should mock it up in S3D and see at least what the predictions will be. Thanks I was was just sort of assuming a volcano would be enough.

8. rexsolomon

rexsolomon Member

I think you should look at OpenBuilds.Org - just build/cut exactly what you need.
    For large industrial heaters try BriskHeat - but you will need SSRs on them, and the layout has to overlap somewhat.

Miasmictruth likes this.