Level bed and nozzles

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by mike01hu, May 15, 2016.

1. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

For new builders I draw your attention to my post here to emphasise the importance of levelling of bed and nozzles. The latter is critical to successful dual printing and printing with one nozzle on the dual machines. I would suggest that you use a very thin feeler gauge to test the nozzle level and do so again after the cooling fans are replaced to ensure that you have not disturbed the setting. Likewise, levelling the build surface is very important as you do not want large swings in automatic levelling during a print job, so extra care here will pay dividends later.

Dr Jeep likes this.
  2. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

Even with the single nozzle Pro, auto bed levelling is a poor substitution for starting with a level bed, I don't even have my autobed levelling enabled at the moment as my bed is so level I think it'd actually introduce more potential errors in the levelling rather than less :)

mike01hu likes this.
  3. mike01hu

After living with the K8200, you learned to battle with the trauma bed levelling!!! :D

4. Dr Jeep

To be honest that was the least of the problems I had with it :D

Once I eventually got that bed level then the only problem was ringing at certain speeds when you hit the harmonic of that Z axis with the Z screw supporting it at one end.

Well I say the only problem, I think probably after replacing the cheap Z screw and nasty coupling, fitting a better Z homing switch setup, replacing that terrible hot end, sorting the iffy motor mounts and replacing the pulleys with ones that have holes in the middle....Doing something about that Z arm would be the next biggest impact on the print quality.

There was a reason I went with someone more honourable than vellman for my second kit :)

It's a shame really the design isn't terrible and if they had put a straight Z screw in the box and better pulleys then that kit as supplied would have produced prints of double the quality....then at 300 and summin quid (the price CPC were selling them for..not Maplin) it would have been more than fair value.

mike01hu likes this.
  5. mike01hu

My son has just dashed off with my K8200 and a pile of filament after a brief tutorial. He's more than happy at the moment and will be for a while until he gets sued for divorce!!! :D

6. Dr Jeep

Yeh but it's had a througrough debugging with you first...taken as supplied out of the box any sane person would give up and bin it :)

mike01hu likes this.
  7. University of Toronto

University of Toronto Well-Known Member

How do we enable auto-bed levelling on bigbox dual? Is there a code or setting on S3D ....?