IN DEVELOPMENT SETTINGS Clever3D PEI coated aluminum bed

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Ephemeris, Jun 20, 2016.

1. AndyVirus

AndyVirus Well-Known Member

Oooh! I just put the PCB lifter back (well 1.5 of them stacked as i had to raise the bed up so i could use volcano with Aero) and you know what, that has defiantly made a huge difference. Just started a print from cold and adhered to the bed as i would expect it to if it was at the correct temp (after waiting). Thanks! Great tip!
    IMG_1623.JPG

#61 AndyVirus, Jun 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  2. AndyVirus

AndyVirus Well-Known Member

Loving Colourfabb (Colorfabb) HT. sticks great and releases with ease.

Anyone got Scaffold to stick to this bed?

3. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I had no problems getting Scaffold to stick when printing Edge or XT, temp was at 80°...

4. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

Here's a question about something I haven't quite figured out.

The very first track (usually a skirt offset from the part) never sticks immediately and so there's about 1-2cm of loose filament at the start of the first track. Usually this doesn't matter (the skirt will be thrown away anyway) but occasionally it then gets caught up in what happens next and causes problems.

I usually print nGen at 0.2mm layer height on the first layer and in every other respect it works perfectly.

The start script in the dock uses the standard BigBox pre-extrude.

The Z height is (I think) perfectly adjusted and the bed temperature at the high end of the recommended (85C).

What can I tweak?

5. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

For nGen I have the bed set to 102C for layer 1.

6. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

@R Design I've stopped with using a full skirt, as sometimes it's really huge and makes no sense, unless you're really using it to pin something to the bed. Instead, I have a small 22cm square, corner-rounded- single layer model, that I use to get the extruder primer, babystepping sorted, and I typically I put this at a part on the bed where no actual print model will go. I also move it so it's close to the model. Anyway, this usually makes sure any issue with that first layer don't impact the main model.

7. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

I have been printing successfully 1 layer with HTPLA v3 a while now. 60 deg on bed and 250 in nozzle.

I struggled in the beginning and got up to 85 deg on bed but it only got worse. Sent Proto Pasta a message and they suggested to go down to 60 as 85 might start to crystallise. They were right :)

8. R Design

Thanks guys for your great suggestions.

Decided to take them in order and with the bed at 102C (@Ephemeris I'd NEVER have thought to go above 100! :D ) the first layer went down better than ever before. Am expecting the underside to be like a mirror.

@Spoon Unit a tiny primer model is an interesting idea. Am always suspicious that the dock extrusion is insufficient. Either way do always use a skirt: either an offset one - essentially for priming purposes but very rarely there's a problem of model interference - or a one that is attached to the part in the case I think that there's the possibility of detaching or am super-preoccupied about dimensionality (eg right now am printing something like a cylindrical hinge, orientated vertically).

@Stian Indal Haugseth in the USA you could sue for putting HT in the title when it's only a 60C bed!

9. R Design

As an aside, just set up a sequential (complete one part before printing the next) process in Simplify3D and discovered that, whilst at the beginning of the print it does an M140, M190 (set bed temperature, wait for it to be achieved), for subsequent parts it only does an M140 which means that the first layer only setting of 102C will never be in place when the plastic is laid down.

Have submitted a bug report.

10. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

?

The bed reaches more than 60C but max recommended bed temp for HTPLA v3 is 70C. It can be printed at 250C for very good layer bonding. HTPLA can be baked to withstand higher temperatures.

11. Falc.be

Falc.be Well-Known Member

Interested in this
    Does the pei degrade after time ?

12. R Design

I dunno. But if it died tomorrow (when I've finished this print!) it would have been worth it.

Just to have known what 3d printing can be.

Spoon Unit likes this.