Titan Aero 3mm with 1.75 PLA

Discussion in 'Titan' started by Rob Chevalier, May 19, 2017.

1. Rob Chevalier

Rob Chevalier New Member

I apologize in advance for these likely silly questions but I haven't found my answers yet after searching around.

1) Can the 3mm Titan Aero be converted to accept 1.75mm filament by temporarily inserting a PTFE tube within the filament guide?
    2) If so, how quick and easy is it to switch between the 3mm and 1.75 configuration?

I'm very interested in the 3mm Titan Aero and am wondering if I could still print with my existing 1.75mm filaments on occasion without major disassembly.

Thanks!

-r

2. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Unfortunately, the heatbreak is different between the 3mm and 1.75mm version, and it is therefore not possible to change between 3mm and 1.75mm filament with the same Aero lid. This was done initially to prevent users from screwing the wrong break with the wrong heatsink (i.e. 1.75 break and 3mm heatsink).

3. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Check out Tom's video about the Aero at about the 3 minute mark. He talks about the difference between the sizes. His opinion is that yes this might be possible.

4. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

The problem here is that the 3mm version has an M6 thread on the cold side of the heatbreak, while the 1.75mm version has an M7 thread. See my previous answer for the reason. Also, due to the fact that the PTFE tube goes all the way to the heatbreak in the 1.75mm version, it is not possible to modify an M7 1.75 heatbreak to become M6, as the wall thickness where the PTFE tube enters the break will be 0.