Titan Aero Drive gear and bearing alignment

Discussion in 'Titan' started by Euter, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Bugcatcher

Bugcatcher Member

Hi Mike, the photo with the motor pinion has the pinion mounted around the wrong way. If you do that the grub will catch on the hobb drive gear and tear the teeth apart. Pinion should be aligned flush with the main hobb drive gear in the installed position which can be tricky as you can't get to the grub screw without removing the motor.

Mike Kelly and Mircea Chiriciuc like this.
  2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I noticed that :) Thanks for the catch, I was just mocking it up on my desk

3. Phaedrux

Phaedrux Member

I'm having the same issue with the teeth of the hobb gear in my new Titan Aero not being aligned with the filament path. How do I go about getting this resolved?

Attached Files:

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Your arm looks very far from the large gear, maybe your small spur gear is too far out?

5. JTC

JTC New Member

Has anyone received a legitimate fix for this? Tonight my Titan aero locked up. After disassembling it I found the bearing on the heat sink in pieces and the other bearing has destroyed the back plate. This alignment issue can be much more than an inconvenience.

Attached Files:

6. emp?

emp? Member

about ready to chuck this thing out, is there a proper fix for this yet?

7. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

Yes, see post 4.

8. Lateralg

Lateralg Member

How do we gat a correcr gear?

9. Paul Boudreau

Paul Boudreau New Member

I too am having Hobb gear alignment issues. I've been struggling with the issue for weeks. After much research I found these posts on the E3D forum and this one in particular from E3D:

Hello all,

Thank you for bringing this up. There are two possible reasons for this:

1. The pinion gear is not aligned with the black gear: check that the two faces are flush when assembling the Titan.
    2. The black gear was not pressed in correctly when assembled here at E3D: we are currently investigating the issue and checking the QC procedure.
    In either case, the misalignment should not hamper performance too much if you are using 1.75mm filament. If you want a quick fix, you can try offsetting the black gear back by however much the filament path is off. Just lightly tap the rear of the hobb (the short side) with a hammer while holding the gear in/on a vise.

If this turns out to be an error on our side, we will send out replacements to any customer experiencing issues with their Titan due to a misaligned filament path.
    #4Antoine, Jun 26, 2017

After reading this, I emailed support last Friday stating that I felt uncomfortable 'whacking' my gear with a hammer and asked for a replacement gear. Well, I was a bit impatient and gave it a few careful taps properly supported in a table vice with v-slots to better support the gear. The black gear was perfectly flat and the Hobb gear held perpendicular in the v-slot. The Hobb gear moved up a bit relative to the black gear. I reassembled the Titan being careful with the bolt torquing. Afterwards, the filament path appeared to be better aligned and maybe this was the fix I was looking for. I had a few good prints last night. The motor ran very hot and retractions were squeaking, but I was excited to be printing again.

I started another print today, happy to be back in production, but now there is a rotational squeak in sync with every turn of the large black gear. I also have to drive the stepper to very high current levels not to skip steps. The spring is loosened all the way to the point of filament slipping. It still skips steps and the gear is very hard to turn while the extruder is at proper temperature and the stepper motor off. These issues are related. I believe the Hobb gear was cut too low on the shaft and the axis of the Hobb gear is still somehow misaligned or the bearings are damaged.

I replaced a cheap Titan clone and V6 hot end with the new and much improved Titan Aero and E3D stepper. My Original extruder worked OK most of the time with an occasional extrusion issue and never worked correctly with flexible filaments. I believed the problem to be with poor Chinese manufacturing. I believed that buying the genuine E3D Titan would provide superior engineering, manufacturing and a higher quality printing experience. Now I believe I was wrong.

This issue is clearly not an anomaly. This is clearly either a design or quality control problem. In either case, having spent 4 times the cost of a Titan and V6 clone and having an experience that does not significantly differ, I'm very disappointed.

#29 Paul Boudreau, Dec 17, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  10. Lateralg

Lateralg Member

The lack of responsiveness by e3D is inconsistent with a professional enterprise.

e3D: Failure to notify buyers of this issue makes me wonder about your management's decision process. It's clear they're unaware of the effects on users, or don't give a hoot. I spent over two weeks diagnosing the problem of failures that occur 30 minutes or more after launch. I can't afford to lose that time, so I'll be looking for another provider.

Does anyone know of a clone of the Triton that provides promised performance.

11. clearlynotstefan

My alignment is way out of spec too. Getting ready to chuck this thing.

12. Stephen Wolff

Stephen Wolff New Member

MY SOLUTION: Make sure the PTFE tube is ALL the way down if you are using 1.75 mm filament.

EDITED original post:
    I had posted whether anyone found a way for the filament to stay center in the hobbed gear. I found my issue. After troubleshooting for more than a year (seriously) I figured out that my PTFE tube did not go down all the way. According to E3D's instructions here you must have this tube go down all the way. See the photo. Otherwise, the filament will veer off the hobbed gear. In my case, it was always PETG would go left of the gear and then it would slip and underextrude. For some reason neither TPU nor PLA has this issue or maybe it was just that I printed mostly in PETG.

Bye the way, I also made sure the acetate gear was exactly flush with the pinion gear. Don't fear giving acetate gear a very light wack if you need to. I did but had to tap it back when I realized my pinion was not pushed all the way back as far as it could be.

I hope this helps someone before they play with slicer settings for over a year!

#32 Stephen Wolff, Dec 27, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2022