Titan clicking

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Steven Burns, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Steven Burns

Steven Burns Well-Known Member

I know this has been brought up before, but I have taken apart my Titan now three times and even completely disassembled the hot end carriage and cannot get this thing to stop clicking. If I had a choice I would chuck it in the trash, but as I do not, any suggestions?

I really do not want to "mod" it with a pen cap or whatever one of the solutions was. I bought it and it should work as designed.

Sorry, just very frustrated at this thing at the moment as the clicking is starting to give me facial twitches. ;-)

2. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

What excactly do you mean by clickling? When does it happen? During retract or while extruding?

3. Sink

Sink Member

I have been having similar problems with it. Have also taken it apart and rebuilt numerous times.. I have found that I need to watch the bed leveling like a hawk and even adjust it slightly during the first layer, probably not the easiest or best thing to do, but it is working. Once the first layer is down, I have had no more clicking problems and clean builds.. Other advice I received pointed to the filament getting hung up in the throat which may be caused by Retraction speed or the PTFE tubing not properly inserted. I will next try to get a better PTFE tube "fit" and see if maybe it being a hair small is contributing, but the bed adjustment seems to be key for me .. Maybe this thing is just really sensitive to that.. GL..

4. Sink

Sink Member

P.S.. I have also found that doing a Test extrude before beginning a print also helps. Often I will get a click or two that will disappear after a couple of 5mm extrudes (Pronterface), again this could be symptom of some other problem I have..

5. cez

cez Well-Known Member

Has your print head crashed into the bed at any point? If so, have you checked your heartbreak and made sure its straight?

6. Steven Burns

Steven Burns Well-Known Member

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The Titan has a known issue with the extruder clicking during retraction. When it is pushing filament through it is fine, but every time it retracts there is a noticeable and load click.The Titan page has someone putting some sort of metal cap around the center point of the extruder, but that all seems like a waste and should not have to be done on a new product.