Trouble with aligning dual nozzles

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Jaysen DAYDREAMn, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Jaysen DAYDREAMn

Jaysen DAYDREAMn Well-Known Member

What is happening is when i am printing multiple pieces on the bed, The left nozzle is hitting some of the prints on the bed when the print head moves on the x over certain portions of the bed.

My best guess is that this is caused by the adjustment being made by MBL?

BBv1.1 Dual Hybrid Titan
    IR Sensor moves to the z frame

I have already done the following...

I have disassembled and reassembled the hot ends. re fit them in the print carriage according to the build manual.

I have adjusted the z of each nozzle using your alignment tool in the center of the bed.

The z frame and and glass have been mechanically leveled.

Mesh bed level and stored to memory.

Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

Unload the unused hot end and keep it heated to the same temp as the active one
    Remove the not in use nozzle

Prints getting knocked by the other extruder is always a problem. That's why they're working on dual independent extruders.

3. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

Which will still knock things off if you use both ;)

Is this happening a lot or just some models? Things with sharp corners printed in ABS or other warp prone materials can sometimes be impossible to print even with a single nozzle because certain features curl upwards as they cool and snag the passing nozzle. Sometimes the answer is a big brim to help the piece weather the impacts.

4. Jaysen DAYDREAMn

I have been printing with 1 nozzle and the other out of the way. The reason I aligned the second nozzle was to start dual extruding.

So, I can't print dual? Is no one printing Dual with their dual? :(

5. A Dragon In A Pie Costume

A Dragon In A Pie Costume Well-Known Member

i have been printing dual, the way i callibrated it was using a small cardboard box and adjusting the grub screws so the both nozzles touch it(keep in mind there are two screws on each nozzle)

6. gonzalo

gonzalo Well-Known Member

File Aug 16, 11 01 09 PM.jpeg File Aug 16, 11 01 43 PM.jpeg File Jun 26, 8 33 03 AM.jpeg File Jun 26, 8 33 18 AM.jpeg BB dual has terrible part cooling, corners curl up all the time. Improve part cooling! Add another fan and shroud. Or use one of the designs out there. Greg made one, it's in thingiverse.
    Try Z lift, it's a setting in s3d that will lift the extruders while traveling.
    Try not printing multiple parts. Printing dual is always done with shells or purge towers or both, that tend to be more effective and less prone to fail if you do one part at a time.
    That been said, I have not been able to use dual effectively, like for example using soluble support material. This is because I have not been able to tune the Bowden extruder to work well.
    I have only done test prints with some success like the pictures attached. That's why we are all so eager to see the new update with independent extruders.
    Cheers

7. Jaysen DAYDREAMn

Thank you for this. I have upgraded the cooling. I used the model that Greg made.

I guess I am now with you guys as I am now anxiously awaiting the announcement in hopes that I can print dual with the new upgrade. :)

gonzalo likes this.
  8. Paul Begley

Paul Begley Well-Known Member

I get quite bad curling when printing small parts, been thinking about upgrading the cooling for some time. For that updated part cooling that Greg released, do you get better/noticeable results? Were you able to print i ok and did you use support? was it easy to remove of did you use a dissolvable support? was it printed in the orientation it loads by default?

i understand the heater blocks need to be rotated, this isn’t so much an issue, but relocating the bed IR sensor maybe. Anybody managed to mount this cooling fan with the std IR sensor in roughly the same position? I’m thinking a slightly modified sensor bracket, would push it out a bit so need to update the probe config. Or maybe just bite the bullet and reposition/rewire to the bed.... mmm

9. Jaysen DAYDREAMn

Paul,

I moved the IR sensor to the bed with Greg's mount and then did the cooling upgrade. I did see a noticeable improvement on cool but can not get dual extrusion working for me yet.