v6 Under extrusion

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by vea, Apr 5, 2017.

1. vea

vea Member

I got a v6 direct from E3D about a month ago. No matter what I do it is always under extruding big time. Only been working with PLA. Iv tried temps from 190-220, Flow % from 95-150, and even changed the nozzle diameter in Cura. All to no avail. The printer was fine with the Lite6 so I have no idea what is going on. Any advice would be most apreciated. thanx in advance.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

Checked your esteps?

Mark the filament with a pen about 150mm above a reference point like the top of the extruder.
    Using the menu or through software to send Goode get the printer to extrude 100mm of filament and remeasure to the mark.
    If it's moved less than 100mm you need to adjust the esteps setting.

Better explanation https://wiki.e3d-online.com/wiki/Your_First_Print#Calibrating_The_Filament

Worth checking but I'm not sure that's your problem, it almost looks like a partial clog.

3. Brandonprints

Brandonprints Member

I just installed my E3D V6 recently and it seem I'm getting the same issue. The issue is visible on my first layer, and sometimes creates very bad layer adhesion. I've changed the thermistor settings in the firmware and did a PID autotune, and also spent a good two days playing with print settings. Unfortunately the problem still exists.

Attached Files:

4. Kanedias

I don't think PID tuning has that much effect on under-extrusion unless you're so far out the material isn't melting in which case I'd expect you could hear the extruder motor clicking as if can't push the filament in.

Worth noting that the drv8825 stepper drivers E3d currently stock use a steps setting double that of the original bigbox ones.Mine is using 633 SpU

5. vea

vea Member

checked my Esteps, they are pretty much spot on per 100mm. Could it be that the stepper just cant push through the v6? Thanx for the help.

Edit: Afterthought- my extruder stepper reference voltage is 0.8v. Should I turn it up ?

#5 vea, Apr 9, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  6. Kanedias

That voltage sounds fine I think. The tension is okay on the filament, its not skipping/clikcing as it feeds?

I think I'd try printing at 1/2 speed and then full speed with no part cooling to try and eliminate heating issues.

The 100mm of extruded filament is nice and smooth, no beads that you might get with a partial clog?

7. vea

vea Member

It extrudes fine, no grinding, clicking, skipping, etc. It runs nice and smooth.

8. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

You can do one test: lower the printing speed to about 50% and print the blue cube again. You could have a temperature issue....

9. vea

vea Member

Sorry Rob, did this print before I saw your post. Will try your suggestion next.

215C
    70 mm/sec
    1.2 wall thickness
    100% flow rate
    bye bye layer adhesion
    [​IMG]

10. vea

vea Member

Why is my last post under moderator approval??

Any way, been tinkering some more with no improvements. In fact, I think it is getting worse.

I am going to do an ABS print and see how that does.

11. Kanedias

It's possible it's a bad roll of PLA, too much moisture in it. 70mm/s is a bit quick but not unreasonable. It'd be interesting to see a 1/2 speed print with all other settings the same.

As a rule that's what I do to work through a problem. Simple quick print, change one thing at a time and see how it changes the result.

12. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

70 mm/s is too fast for such a small part. Unless you told your slicer to slow down when printing layers that have a print time below xx seconds (that depends on the material you are printing), this may be the problem. Try printing one single cube with a printing speed at say 10 mm/s and see what happens.

13. vea

vea Member

Printed at 35mm/sec 209C..came out even worse.

14. vea

vea Member

Swapped filament..
    209C 50mm/sec
    0.5mm @50mm/sec
    0.2 layer height.
    100% feed rate
    Im just gonna throw this POS away and go back to the Lite6. Its not working and Im getting very frustrated with it.
    [​IMG]

15. Brandonprints

Brandonprints Member

I sent a email to E3D about my Hotend, and they responded asking for pictures of my general setup. I'm guessing we will be going through a bunch of steps to narrow the issue down. I'd do the same. It's not a cheap nozzle and it's more than likely a issue that's easily corrected.

I'll keep you updated on the progress!

16. vea

vea Member

I just submitted an email as well. fingers crossed.

17. vea

vea Member

I had a thought...

the filament drive gear in my printer is like this one:
    [​IMG]
    It leaves a ridge in the filament like a saw blade. Should I switch out to a more knurled gear?

Just a thought

18. Semus

Semus Member

The ridges are just the gear grabbing the filament and pushing it through the extruder. The ridges are fairly normal. If you see deep gouges in the filament or gashes like the filament is torn, then you may have a jam somewhere. If not, then little ridges are OK.