Widen tip?

Discussion in 'Titan' started by Henry feldman, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

does anyone else have trouble getting the filament to go into the hole of the titan when initially feeding it. It seems that if you don't have it exactly square, it won't feed in. I eventually get it, but moving the filament a small amount and sometimes having to bend a tiny bit of the tip, to get it to go down the hole? Is it OK to wide just the top of that slightly? Since the hole in the handle just takes the ptfe tube, it doesn't do anything to locate that until it's inserted, so nothing guides the filament initially.

2. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

I think Dr.Jeep told me to use a sharp knife to widen the opening at the top of teflon tube in the Titan. Basically making the top end into a funnel. I did this and have not had any problems getting the filament to start feeding.

3. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

@Ephemeris just confirming I mean the part in this image where the red line is entering (the filament guide I think is the official name)

[​IMG]

4. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

Well if you are actually catching on the guide opening rather than the teflon a few millimeters below it you might want to take it apart and see if it looks okay. I can't say I've had any problems to date with the that but I haven't changed spools that many times since converting to Chase's dual Titan direct

5. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

This problem has occurred for a few users, where the coupling PTFE tube to the hotend was a little too short such that it was below the internal shoulder inside the filament guide and that little gap is enough to grab the filament. A solution was to put a small chamfer on the end of the tube or recut a new piece of tube. Mine was short and a new cut tube did the trick.

6. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

What I usually do is rounden the tip of the filament with a piece of sandpaper.