COMPLETE Yet Another Duet WiFi Mount

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Ephemeris, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

Alex9779 posted a perfectly usable pair of adapters to mount the Duet Wifi using the existing mounting holes in the bottom of the BigBox. In a moment of weakness, I designed something a bit more elaborate.

IMG_1759.JPG

A bit silly I realize but it does have a couple nice features. If I need to move the Duet WiFi out of the way because I'm rewiring something where I can't fit my hands, I can unscrew the bracket from the bottom of the BigBox and slide the whole board out of the way without risk of loss of cooling or shorting against something. Each standoff ends in a boss that guarantees your screws won't touch the inner layers of the board.

IMG_1760.JPG

The holes in the standoffs are sized for an M3 tap.

So there it is. A bit silly, but I like it :)

Attached Files:

#1 Ephemeris, Jan 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    Spoon Unit and Paul Begley like this.
  2. Syko_Symatic

Syko_Symatic Well-Known Member

Is the model posted anywhere? Are those handles to lift it with! Love it!

3. Ephemeris

Sorry the web server seems to have been acting up and the zip file didn't appear. I just re-uploaded it and it seems to be there now.

Update: Somehow it listed the wrong file as uploaded. I deleted it and uploaded again. Someone needs to take better care of the E3D webserver gerbil :)

#3 Ephemeris, Jan 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  4. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

Very nice! I like it when things are artistic as well as functional.

5. Syko_Symatic

Spot on! I was just trying my hand at on shape (on my phone) for the first time. I use Solidworks as my day job but it's OK. Was just adding standoffs and then your file appears.

6. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

I'm so keen on Octoprint, I need some arm twisting to go to Duet. What's the USP?

7. Ephemeris

Unique selling point? Well for me it was getting so torqued off by the Rumba USB port going bonkers I was getting ready to fix it with a rather large hammer. (Luckily a friend of mine agreed to come over and spent an hour or two reprogramming the USB port.) That said the Duet does have features other than not being a Rumba ;)

The best feature is not recompiling the firmware. Most things are set up via the config.g gcode file that you can edit. When you reboot, the new configuration takes effect. This is pretty impressive and lets you experiment freely.

A semi-awesome feature is the stepper current settings are software controlled (the aforementioned config.g) No more messing with tiny ceramic screwdrivers and accidentally shorting something with your voltmeter probes. The drivers are also crazy quiet. I literally can't hear the z-steppers.

#7 Ephemeris, Jan 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    Spoon Unit likes this.
  8. Syko_Symatic

The only downfall is that is currently doesn't support video. You need a new IP camera and it will take stills.

9. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Thanks for the detail. Still no sold. Noise is not a real issue for me as the machine is in another part of the house, I have no issue with re-flashing using the firmware flasher from tohara, and I like the camera capability, though it's not an essential (and could probably be left hooked up on the Pi, and probably a signal be sent from the Duet to it to initiate timed picture taking given the will. Nice QOL feature from being able to tweak firmware settings on the fly and the voltage driven in software; you can believe they're accurate and no going to move.

10. Syko_Symatic