“End stop” detection clunk

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by orcinus, Aug 20, 2019.

1. orcinus

orcinus Well-Known Member

Is it normal for the X and Y axes to make a rather jarring CLUNK when homing?
    Never used sensorless homing, so have no clue what’s acceptable.

Should i increase the sensitivity?

Also having some issues with the tool lock/unlock - sometimes it goes way way too much in front of the tool, sometimes it tries to ram the head into the tool with the divot in the T-bar in the vertical position. Very strange.

Oh, also, Home C homes all axes for some reason.
    Pretty bizarre.

2. orcinus

Had other issues with it, like the park tool home macro causing it to miss the X axis alignment entirely, and try to impale the tool on the two bars… Nasty stuff…

When i go through the tool change completely manually, with manual gcode, however, it works perfectly, so it’s not mechanical.

I’ll troubleshoot more tomorrow, it’s almost 6am :[

3. orcinus

I think i know what it is.
    My manual docking/undocking was with Y243, the macros use Y242.5, which is very slightly off, and the coupler stepper stalls out.

And yes, i did unscrew and adjust the dock position, it’s as far forwards as it can go.

4. Amr

Amr Well-Known Member

Did you increase the current on the C motor in the homec.g file as mentioned by greg on my post, I had the same issues and this solved allot of the problems I was having, for some reason crash detection is not working on the C axis that is why you dont get consistent homeing for the C axis at least that was my experience https://forum.e3d-online.com/threads/help-c-axis-is-not-homing-properly.3288/ as for the clunk noise you its metal hitting metal and that how the crash detection works so ...

5. orcinus

Mine homes correctly, though.
    Like i’ve said - i can dock and undock by manual gcode or jogging just fine.
    It’s the macro that consistently fails, likely because it’s 0.5mm off.

I realise that, but i’m asking how much force is normal.
    The sound is pretty violent to the point where i worry about the longevity of the (physical) end stop as well as the belts.

From the videos of sensorless homing of other machines on youtube, i’d say it’s not normally *that* loud.
    Perhaps reducing the acceleration, jerk and speed during homing might make sense.

6. orcinus

It was the Y after all.
    Y242.5 is just *barely* out of reach for the T bar on my machine.

It has to be Y243.
    Also has to be Y243 when leaving the tool, or the magnet won’t grab it and it's left loose on the dock.

I’ve also managed to get the “clunk” less violent by tweaking the homex and homey scripts a bit, and got the sensorless homing to work on the C axis. Gcode here:

https://forum.e3d-online.com/threads/c-axis-sensorless-homing-works.3303/