0.4 nozzle volcano and v6 clicking

Discussion in 'HotEnds & Extruders' started by Gibran Zawahra, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Gibran Zawahra

Hello everyone,
    it's been a couple of month that i have been trying to solve this issue i have an anycubic predator, that's modded heavily with a duet, linear rails mag arms, a smart effector, and a full metal v6 or full metal volcano, i tried both hotends with a 0.4mm nozzle but the original extruder keeps clicking, i know it's not weak because it's grinding the filament instead of stopping, i tried raising the amps, i tried lowering the print speed to 40mm/s even though i've managed without a problem on 120mm/s with the original hotend, i tried changing the settings, setting the retract to 0mm but it wouldn't change anything because it's clicking even when sending an extrude request from the gui 100mm at 10mm/s even at 5mm/s the v6 would click,and i would think the the volcano could easily handle 10mm/s but it doesn't, i tried installing two v6 fans on the heatsink didn't change anything and even with the noctua the heat sink is not hot, i checked the eSteps it would only stop clicking if i under extruded by 5mms on a 100mm extrusion but then the print is bad.i tried multiple 0.4 nozzles on the v6 didn't change anything... would a bent heatbreak cause this ? it's the only thing that i have not changed.. thanks for any ideas !

2. Entropy4All

Entropy4All Member

Maybe better in the V6 subgroup. By clicking, I assume that you mean it is not extruding, or not extruding enough. Is it possible that the hotend is not actually getting to a high enough temperature? Maybe something is wrong with your thermistor or RTD? If it's not that, then you have something obstructing the heat break/nozzle, and or there is not enough clamping force on the hob gear. Also, I thought 0.4mm was not recommended with the volcano

3. Gibran Zawahra

hello entropy! i thought about putting it in the v6 subgroup but it's also happening on the volcano, i made sure of that with a multi-meter with a thermistor, i tried disassembling it and cleaning multiple times i even used a propane torch to melt the plastic to make sure didn't change a thing and would stop printing right after, i tightened the hub gear to the max didn't change much it just started making more noise when clicking, the 0.4 is ok according to their leaflet that comes with the nozzles but any lower and you should use a v6, i tried the volcano with a 0.4 to see if that solves the problem ...thanks !

4. Entropy4All

Entropy4All Member

I'm not sure I understand your post, are you saying that it was briefly able to extrude when using a torch?

Anyways, I don't have any other ideas. I'm assuming there is not excessive drag on the pulling side/coming from the spool

5. Gibran Zawahra

i'm sorry for my post being so complicated, its a compilation of my last three month of trying to get my v6 to work, the torch was only to burnout the clogs, i could never actually extrude past a couple of layers, thanks anyway i appreciate the help !

6. Tony MacDonald

I'm getting clicking with the Hemera using the standard hotend and .4 nozzle as well. There's no way to know how how tight you need to go with the tension knob. No guidelines online for any settings what so ever except for retractions.

John Ashby likes this.
  7. Daniel Rock

Daniel Rock Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

With the Hemera, the white spring block should be flush with the back of the extruder body. Please see step 17 & 18 on the assembyl guide https://e3d-online.dozuki.com/Guide/01+-+E3D+Hemera+Core+Assembly/122?lang=en

8. Daniel Rock

Daniel Rock Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Sorry to hear you have been struggling for a while with this, what extruder and extruder motor are you using? The Volcano nozzles have more backpressure compared to a standard V6 nozzle, and by using nozzles sizes smaller than 0.8mm with the Volcano you are further increasing the back pressure so slimline motors and ungeared extruder most likely will not be usable.

9. Gibran Zawahra

Hello Daniel, my printer is a moded anycubic predator with duet smart effector and magrods, the only thing left stock was the motors and the extruder, i switched the extruder out for a Bondtech BMG but still facing the same issues with either it clicking or the filament coming out under extruded and twisted,i tried using the titanium heatbreak i know for a fact that it's not bent and i wouldn't want to go back to a ptfe ligned heatbreak, is the bowden config a problem ? is shortened it as short as possible .. shouldn't i be able to extrude at 5mm/s without problems ? the original anycubic hotend and extruder were easily able to extrude at 10mm/s but i think that's because the nozzle wasn't really at 0.4mm, anyways i'm getting hopless since it's been four months that i'm trying to get it to work correctly ...thanks a lot for the reply !