1.1 dual z offset nightmare

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Michael Frampton, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Michael Frampton

Michael Frampton Well-Known Member

Trying to access "set home offsets" and only get "err too far ".Is this the setting that will adjust my z during printing? As my 1st layer is too thin especially toward front of machine..not so bad at back..have moved infrared sensor down .this helps but it has to be same height as nozzle and fouls print..tho it has reduced bed crashing...wishing my infrared sensor activated 2 mm further away..any help gratefully received

2. Paul Begley

Paul Begley Well-Known Member

I have the same error when selecting that, not sure what it's for, have asked on here before but no response.

During printing you can go go to the tune menu and make adjustments to the z with I think 'bed z' and 'babystep z'. (Or something similar ). Is that what your after?

3. tohara

tohara Well-Known Member

The menu item "set home offset" is the same as sending M428 from a terminal. See explanation below.

This should not be used on the BB, and if you have pressed it you might have added some offsets to the home position that should not be there and will create trouble (I have been there ;))

Easiest way to reset this is to select restore failsafe and then store memory.

For adjusting the nozzle height you should use Z offset menu entry. Or the tune menu during printing.

Code:
    /**
    * M428: Set home_offset based on the distance between the
    *       current_position and the nearest "reference point."
    *       If an axis is past center its endstop position
    *       is the reference-point. Otherwise it uses 0. This allows
    *       the Z offset to be set near the bed when using a max endstop.
    *       M428 can't be used more than 2cm away from 0 or an endstop.
    *       Use M206 to set these values directly.
    */

4. Paul Begley

Paul Begley Well-Known Member

Is their any issue with removing this option from the firmware?

5. tohara

tohara Well-Known Member

The only issue I see is that it is more work to maintain/upgrade the firmware with more BB specific changes to the original marlin.

6. Michael Frampton

Michael Frampton Well-Known Member

i have sorted it,but i cheat,,,ive managed to set it so it does a home, ,,,ive fitted my ir sensor on right of bed,using the e3d modified mount that ive wedged firmly between bed acrylic plates and it points upto the frame that sits under the y axis rails,used a piece of black tape where the senor emitts to,since using black tape it has never failed to read like it used to on shiny glass plate.then levelled the bed by sliding carridge into all 4 corners of bed and set height by adjusting the plate mount screws,so i know its dead level,,,when it starts printing if laying to thin i twist z screws anticlockwise each a step and layer gets thicker,,i do this while its printing skirt till i get perfect thickness,,works perfect !!