1st layer question

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Stefan, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have some trouble...... with bed adhesion and or first layer.
    I print with PLA 1.74 (messured avg 1.71) from Multec on a BB Dual . 210°C / 60°C

My first print was a Benchy from SD and I needed 2 tries, first was not sticking to the bed, fixed that with UHU Stick. 2nd print was a missing Spool gear holder (with slic3r) and it was OKish with some manual after work it is now fitting/working.

Ok... bed adhesion question... do I really need a new layer of glue before I start a print?
    Please have a look on these images of the first layer of this http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:38096 I
    sliced it with slic3r , removed all except layer 1 from the g-code see attached files and send with pronterface
    layer hight 0.25mm

Here are some images of it
    https://goo.gl/photos/7icmZi7JbbCoH9EN8

Does this look OK? I feel the nozzle is to close to the bed but I did the dual mesh leveling and the paper is moving below the nozzle and I can feel scratching... I have one of these FaechLehre_Apa.jpg so how big in mm must the gap between bed and nozzle be?

This is really frustrating... seeing all the cool prints of other BB owners :(

Attached Files:

2. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

It looks too close to the bed to me, or at least, I would have it higher.

3. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

Ok so how to raise it? Relevel the bed and let the paper barely touch the nozzle or use some g-code I Didier nötig find yet

4. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

There are several possibilities.
    1. Relevel the bed and try to remember how hard the paper moved the other time and do it a bit less.
    2. Increase the 1st layer height in the slicer.
    3. Set a global Z offset in the slicer.

5. Kick2box

Kick2box Well-Known Member

Under advanced settings put default extrusion width to 48 and top solid infill to 95%, leave all others to default (0). Leave first layher same height as the others, this is working perfectly for me (with slic3r). Paper may not scratch, only slide softly. Take care both nothles are exactly same height.

6. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

First layer is the holy grail for 3D printing. Find it, and everything else (more or less) will be good. As others have said, it looks like the nozzle is too far away from the bed on our first layer. I'm using S3D and there, microadjusting the first layer is all about adjusting a parameter called first layer height. Let's say you have a layer height of 0.2mm for each layer, you would expect the nozzle to be 0.2mm above the bed for layer one. First layer height allows you to start the first layer at a percentage of 0.2mm. This has the effect of pushing the nozzle toward the bed for the first layer, which could help with poor bed levelling, or help make the first layer a little more pushed into the bed, as the amount extruded will be the same (though you can also affect this too to help with layer one). It could be your just not trapping the paper under the nozzle strongly enough during bed levelling, or maybe even forgetting to save your bed levelling into memory. I also try to have a slightly higher heat for layer 1. I have no rational explanation for this; it just feels like a good measure.

7. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

8. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

1st try of LED holder failed..... bed adhesion ... it could be the fan.. even I set it to max 60%... now with fan off, re-leveled bed and tesa tape it looks working.

But the a filament error hit ARGGGG and now again...