2 E3D v6's 1 Fan

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by Mike Kelly, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I've been designing a carriage to run two e3d v6's off of. The issue I've been running into is maintaining a width of 48mm with both extruders. I think I've come up with a pretty good solution, the only thing is I'm only really able to fit one cooling fan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the fan shroud on thingiverse:
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:480669/#files

Anyone want to chime in and say if this is feasible? Part of me thinks it will be ok, But I also worry it won't have enough cooling power.

I'm gonna be able to test it in a day or 2

2. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

Why are you closing off the backside? Axial fans can't generate much pressure, try not to change the direction of airflow too much.

What fan? You need at least 8CFM, I'd shoot for 10 or 12 with all that back pressure.

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Tim the backside is closed off to make an attempt to cover a larger surface area with airflow. The hope was there would be enough pressure that 3/4" of the heatsink would see good flow, and the remaining quarter would get some of the excess flow.

I agree with your statement and that's why I've been pretty hesitant about it. I'd like for it to fit because I really can't think of a way to fit two fans in my design. This has been the best solution I could come up with.

I'd guess the flow rate is 3CFM. it's the stock one from e3d so you'd probably know better than I.

I used to have a drawing that showed what I was trying to achieve, lemme see if I can turn that up

4. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

Stock E3D fan is 4CFM. You really need 4CFM (unrestricted) per hotend. I would advise against changing direction, this will significantly reduce flow rate.

Try to fit a 40mm or 50mm fan on there, and shoot for 12CFM unrestricted. It'll be loud, but they make 'em.

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Well I have a 50mm fan that fits that spec, but there's no way I could make a 50mm fan work.

I could probably fit a 40mm if I could just find one to spec.

Found one at 10CFM: http://www.amazon.com/Sunon-40x40x20mm- ... 3KK758WMXQ

Finally found this damn diagram:

[​IMG]

Think Option 3 has any potential or would the second in line pick up too much heat

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

How sure are you it requires 4cfm? Do you have reason to believe 3cfm wouldn't be sufficient?

7. Sanjay

Sanjay Administrator
    Staff Member

I know this is distinctly unhelpful, but I have essentially zero real world experience with any of the setups proposed. What I can say is that I know of customers using all 3 variations with results that are working for them.

The reality is both of the single fan implementations are untested and hard to predict the results of, but simply put - if the heatsinks are cool you're good to go.

Airflow is pretty chaotic and unpredictable, but as elmoret says you want to avoid direction changes as much as possible as the fans create very little in the way of pressure.

I've also seen people use a variation of the third option where a second fan is used to pull air out of the exit. Fuck knows how well that actually works. Probably crap.

tl;dr,
    I have no idea what I am doing. Add fans until it's cold.

Sanjay xx

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Well you guys sufficiently scared me out of trying it.

Here's what I came up with:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More information and a thread later...