3 potentially related errors

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Mike Oda, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Mike Oda

Mike Oda Member

Got everything assembled and am going through the commissioning steps. I've checked all the connections and have tightened and tugged on all screwed connections. I pressed down on all the connectors to make sure they are snug on the Rumba. So I'm a bit perplexed by what is happening.

In the commissioning, I've tried to set the Z offset but I don't have this option in the Control, Motion menu. Despite this, I set the position of the end stops and proper positioning of the IR sensor and get consistent and reliable auto homing. I even leveled the bed manually by setting the spacer heights. So I can get away without auto level.

But when I go to auto level, the carriage travels to the six different positions and I have to manually dial in the offsets. It seems this should be done with the IR sensor but it doesn't.

If I leave the printer on long enough eventually I get a MinTemp error. All the temps are 0°C on the info page.

I suspect something is fundamentally wrong that leads to all these issues. Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Do you have a dual? If so there is no Z-offset option, there is a Level Bed option that you use instead for which you do have to dial in the offset at each position. This is functioning as it should (if you have a dual).

Not sure I can help on the MinTemp error.

3. Mike Oda

Mike Oda Member

Ah... I do have a dual. So what I thought was an error is really a "feature" :). This is a comfort to know. Thank you. Perhaps this should be mentioned in the commissioning page so others don't get confused by this too.

I've tried to cycle the BB up in temp to preheat for PLA. It fails to get to temp and oddly misreports the bed temp as 55°C, when a temp gun reads it as 32°C. Also the hot end that is being heated reports as being at 9°C, when the other hot end not being heated is at 23°C. Very weird.

Attached Files:

#3 Mike Oda, Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  4. Mike Oda

Mike Oda Member

So I am 99% certain I solved my own problem. I swapped the PT100 boards and the MINTEMP error remained associated with extruder 1. So that eliminated the PT100 boards. This left the rumba board or the sensor. I then swapped the sensors and the MINTEMP problem associated with extruder 1 now was associated with extruder 2. So the most consistent conclusion is that the sensor has a short. An unfortunate problem to have but a relatively cheap solution (vs a new rumba board).

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You could measure the resistance across the PT100 to verify that. Should be around 108 at ambient

6. Mike Oda

Mike Oda Member

Yes, checking the resistance is a great suggestion and thank you for this. Fortunately, a new thermistor / sensor was at my doorstep today when I got home from work and my BB has been steadily at 220°C for the last 2 hours and had a successful cycle up and down before this so, I think this was the source of the problem.

Mike Kelly likes this.