3mm Filament Titan

Discussion in 'Titan' started by haydn, Oct 20, 2016.

1. haydn

haydn Member

greetings

has anyone got any vids of a 3mm filament titan doing its thing....Im a bit sceptical so need proof before i buy one

thanx very much

Haydn

2. rexsolomon

rexsolomon Member

Here you go Haydn.
    E3D Titan, V6 and hardened nozzle printing 3mm Polycarbonate at 325*C, bed at 145*C on a modified Lulzbot Taz 5 (Lulzbot is 3mm by default).
    No warping. No errors. However... as they say YMMV.

Attached Files:

#2 rexsolomon, Oct 20, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    haydn likes this.
  3. haydn

haydn Member

Thanx Rexsolomon
    what was you feed rate on that please im printing all sorts at up to 180mm/s with my bowden and remote planetary geared driver at the moment getting good results , but the geared driver is borrowed off one of my diamond head printers so the need for a direct drive on this little i3 aluminuim setup
    thanx for photo..any vid?

cheers

Haydn

4. rexsolomon

rexsolomon Member

Hello Haydn,

I print primarily in Polycarbonate, so my print speed is slowed down to an extreme to get the objects to print near perfect - so I'm afraid my settings will be useless to you. I don't have any bandwidth for making and uploading vids though, sorry. But,

If you haven't seen it already Tom Sanladerer has great tutorials on Youtube on how to calculate feed rates and othe extruder related stuff. Best you take a look. Here is the link:

Tom also has a review on the Titan here:

Best of luck!

haydn likes this.
  5. haydn

haydn Member

Sure Thanx very much for Info...
    Ive seen his vids but nothing actually shows 3mm spewing plastic...
    ive got some home brew extruders that can push out some 3mm plastic but it needs stupidly slow feed rates and that is kinda not what im after, My worry was buying this thing and getting no better than what i already have, Im printing at average 100mm/s at .1 and getting excellent results with my knocked up version from stolen parts from all printers, the bowden tubes are rubbish for stringing so need to get away from that I build a delta and retrofitted a diamond head and now have the nema's hanging 100mm away from the head and getting EXCELLENT prints...my reason for this search is I have 50 kgs of 3mm plastic that wont fit into the Original Diamond PTFE tubes only the 1.85 fits so build this little printer to run the 3mm stock...oh well will get it anyway..not holding my breath here as it can do flexable's so will have a use either way

thanx again
    Haydn

#5 haydn, Oct 21, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  6. rexsolomon

rexsolomon Member

Hello Haydn,

You have 50 kilos of 3mm filament ?!? Wow!

Delta is usually bowden, and Titan is usually direct, so the two would be incompatible unless you have a custom design.
    Titan can extrude 'ordinary' filaments at any insane speed you require regardless if 3mm or 1.75mm.
    (Polycarbonate is an exception, since it requires crazy high temperatures).

To measure proper extrusion, Tom's or Prusa's calculations will work likewise regardless of filament size.

Seems your problem is mostly due to having a lot of equipment - and filament - just lying around.
    That's a nice problem to have.

I'm sure your little printer for 3mm can be tweaked to go faster - unless it is super basic/low cost. Just experiment with small prints first.

Happy printing!