3mm Titan, how to add the PTFE tube for it

Discussion in 'Titan' started by Jaco Theron, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Jaco Theron

Jaco Theron Member

I am upgrading my Wanhao D5S Mini to use the Titan, in a bowden setup and are using the 3mm version of the parts (also received the 3mm bowden tube, so everything between the Titan and the hot-end is good).

My questions is for the other side of the Titan.

Along with my Titan, I received a 2mm ID, 4mm OD PTFE tube of about 15-20cm long, which (from what I can find), goes in where the filament is going in (on the arm that is kept in position with the spring). The place where it is inserted only have a space for that tube, and is not 3mm compatible. Also the hole where that tube is inserted, have holes from other sides (perpendicular to the tube) to help it go in easier, however those holes makes the 3mm filament struggle to go in the correct holes (on the D5S, the extruder is mounted at the back of the big printer, which makes it harder to access and especially if there is intricate things I need to do to load filament, it simply will not work effectively).

I know my Titan is quite new, since it came with the plastic bearing.

How can I make this easier on myself?
    Ideally I want a tube, where I simply push the filament up until the Titan can grab it, and push it through the bowden.
    Can I drill that hole to be bigger (6mm for the 4mm ID, 6MM OD)? Is this a good idea (does it not perhaps weaken that part to break more easily)?
    I can maybe find 3mm ID, 4mm OD PTFE tube, will this have enough space inside for the 3mm filament (most of my filament are ~2.85mm nominal, as they should be)?

Are there other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

2. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

The Titan idler was designed to hold 4mmOD/2mmID PTFE for 1.75mm filament. For 3mm we just put the plastic straight through, without a tube. 3mm filament is stiffer than 1.75 and doesn't require as much constraints going into the extruder.
    If you manage to find such a tube as 4mmOD/3mmID then there shouldn't be any issue using it in a similar fashion. I would advise against drilling through the top of the idler, as this will probably weaken it. The Idler is 8mm thick, and our PTFE for 3mm filament is 6.35mmOD, which this will only leave you with 0.825mm on either side.

3. Jaco Theron

Jaco Theron Member

Thank you for your reply. I have found the 4mm OD with 3mm ID PTFE tube, so I will go on that route (did not like the idea of drilling it out).

4. Jaco Theron

Jaco Theron Member

For those wanting to go the same route, it was not successful. In short the PTFE tube does not stay in the hole (being too flimsy), and rather slides off, when the filament is pushed through.