3mm / wiring forces and toolchanger docking challenge

Discussion in 'Tool heads & ToolChanger' started by phoenix, Nov 24, 2019.

1. John Pickens

John Pickens Active Member

I designed a new docker piece using your STL file. Just like the receiver tool dock which has a flange separating the magnet from the surface,
    I put a similar 0.2mm flange in the plastic to keep the magnets separated. However, my printed docker pieces were never as precise as the E3D docker, so I am not using it. Too much wobble when docked.

The good news is that I have redesigned my version of the Flex3Drive tool , replacing the flex cable with a tool mounted Nema 11 stepper motor.
    The stepper weighs around 190g, giving a final tool weight of 394g. This obviates the need for the enhanced force tool dock magnet, as the new design doesn't experience the off-axis forces from the Flex3Drive cable. I essentially made a 90 geared stepper using the Flex3Drive plastic worm gearset. I'll post it up as a new topic on the forum. I am VERY happy with the performance.

2. John Meacham

John Meacham Well-Known Member

That sounds awesome! How much torque does your motor have to spare, do you think a nema8 would work? I want a super light direct drive print head.

3. John Pickens

John Pickens Active Member

I'm not sure nema8 would be powerful enough.
    The nema 11 I've used first is a 14 oz./in fan which weighs around 190g, giving a 394g all up tool weight. I've been printing mostly PETG with it, so the extrusion tool speeds max out around 40mm/sec, and it handles the feeding just fine. I would think it could easily handle speeds up to 60mm/sec.

I'm building another tool with a nema 11 8.5 oz./in stepper weighing in at 114g.
    I'm worried it won't have the balls to perform, but we'll see.

4. Michael Pearson

Now that I have the bowdens reasonably tuned in I’m considering doing this aero upgrade. Really wanted to add hemeras but still not available and no update on when they will be.

5. smoki3

smoki3 Active Member

Do you have a solution for a part cooling fan?

6. jschall

jschall Member

I don't get how the tension spring adjust is meant to be assembled.

7. prcdslnc13

prcdslnc13 Member

I just recently took my 3mm head off to prep for an ASMBL head. But until then I was running a titan aero with the spring tension basically backed completely off. I made a filament rack to go above my tool changer to feed all my direct drive heads. Its way easier to load and unload and takes all the forces off the tool head made by the filament.