A different solution to trying to seal vases printed with volcano

Discussion in 'Show off' started by Pierce, May 12, 2016.

1. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

Printed some large vases with a 1.0mm volcano but had the issue where the base was a bit "gappy" in places, my resourceful mother came up with the idea of some fake flowers from the local ikea and I think it looks quite good rather than trying to seal the inside with anything.

Next time ill be buying some green filament and printing some flowers of course :)

IMG-20160509-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20160509-WA0003.jpg

2. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

Looks good, a couple things you could do,
    1: Over extrude, this shouldn't be an issue with a single wall print it will just have slightly fatter walls
    2: Use two processes, The first process you can set to a certain height so you can get a perfect bottom, then switch to a second process that will run vase mode.

I was commissioned to make some liners an was able to get a solid vessel with a little tweaking

Pierce likes this.
  3. Springfield-Jack

Springfield-Jack Well-Known Member

Unfortunately Simplify3d wont let you combine processes when using Vase mode,though I've read it can be done by manually splicing the Gcodes of the same object sliced with each process.

4. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

@Miasmictruth I also saw (after I printed of course...) that using slic3r rather than simply3d might result in better gcode for use with volcano prints. But your idea is just as good :)

5. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

Those do look rather good. One of the things I really want to try out on my BB is printing vases with fat layers in T-glase, on my current printer the nozzle is not easily replaceable and not offered in different sizes and I've never been happy with the clarity I've been able to achieve with a 0.35mm nozzle.

6. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

@Sarah Nicholson 1mm nozzle with 0.3mm layer height looked great, you could barely see the layers with the filament I was using. Not tried any T-glase or other transparenty filaments. My advice would be if you change your nozzle be prepared to get frustrated with having to swap over the heatblock and sensor, the screws on mine got messed up and I ended up cutting off the cables and ordering a replacement heater block... Ill be leaving them in from now on and hopefully making them have connectors at some point.

7. Miasmictruth

Interesting, I will play around a bit. A slight over extrusion should still help fill in the
    I do like slic3r still not convinced that S3D is worth it lol

8. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

@Miasmictruth I figured if I was upgrading my printer and spending a lot of money on it that I may as well get the fancy software as well! I quite like it, best feature are supports that are super easy to break off.

9. Miasmictruth

That was my logic to, the supports feature was what sold me too.

Just after using it not sure that it really does anything better or at least 150 dollars better lol, can't speak to the supports though I have only don't one print that required them.

One thing I wish they would do is make the organization of the settings a little more clear still haven't been able to develop a clear way to organize the settings like slic3r.

All in all not saying I regret it just saying lol

10. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

Does look good.

Waterproof with just one layer is a bit optimistic, methinks.

What about a coat of polyurethane varnish (or some such...) on the inside? Will it stick?

In general I think it's a good idea to see the 3d printer as only a part of the solution for achieving a finished product. Whatever it is. Good to add in bits of wood, card, nuts and bolts, glue, wires and all the rest.

Pierce likes this.
  11. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

@Miasmictruth Agreed the settings are not user friendly at all. You need to print something with supports, trying slic3r and cura I always gave up on supports but the default config with simplify3d was super easy to remove.

@R Design It was printed with a 1.0mm nozzle! So its very water proof, the only issue was when it did the base, there were tiny gaps around the edge, it could probably be fixed with some settings and tweaking increasing overlap or extrusion during base printing. But yes I started to look into all the various options to seal it in some way but in the end this was the easier solution!
    Of course if you are going to add in wood, you mean 3d printed wood right :-D

12. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

Haha!

I think it's not just about thickness: that with one layer there will always - statistically - be some gaps.

Multiple layers reduces the probability.

(Though not as much as one would like, if consecutive layers have identical track patterns then there's some chance that there will be systemic gaps that repeat themselves layer after layer. For which reason I'd feel more comfortable putting the vase on a nice wooden table if I'd coated with sealant!)