A few questions from a new user (BB Dual v1.0)

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Ray, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I have a few questions about the setup of the BigBox, these are possibly because I am coming from a Wanhao Duplicator 4X which uses Sailfish firmware:

NOTE: I have loaded the latest Simplify3D profile for the BB Dual (Dual 1.1) from the e3d site.
    1. The configuration is set to turn the cooling fans on (layer 3 = 30%, 4 = 40%, >5 = 50%) yet the cooling fans do not come on. I can manually go into the screen on the printer and changing the cooling fan speed (between 0 and 255) and that does control the fans (Update: I have just manually sent an M126 S255 via OctoPrint and it does nothing but I get an Ok response back)
      UPDATE: I found the issue, in the Simplify3D the Firmware COnfiguration had the Selected Profile as FlashForge rather than RepRap.
    2. The print starts printing straight away, it does not wait for the nozzles/bed to get up to temperature
    3. There isn't an obvious way to load/unload filament (in the Sailfish firmware there is a specific load/unload filament), do I have to manually go into Move and move the filament up and then pull the filament out?
    4. The cable for my OctoPI camera decided to come out as I was assembling it, any suggestions for plugging it back in without taking the whole base off?
    5. The bearing pushing against the hobbled bolt (is that correct?) is very, very tight, it seems to be shredding a fair bit of filament and really leaving big indents, is this correct? I have it set as loose as it will go
    Thanks in advance

Ray

#1 Ray, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  2. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I dunno that E3D profile, I think it is "mit der hei├čen Nadel gestrickt" as we say here in Germany... Dunno how to explain, they needed a profile, they made one fast, it works if you do certain things, if you forget them you're lost, there is documentation what you have to do, what is in the profile and what not...

Marlin does not have such an option, you gotta do it manually from the LDC by heating up and the moving the E axis. But you're a programmer go and code it :D.
    There are posts out there about OctoPrint where people (including me) added custom buttons to the control interface to do this.

Errr I think no. If you have tiny hands, maybe. I forgot to connect the extra power supply I wanted to the Pi when I first closed the bottom. I only disassembled the front back and side where the Pi sits nut traps and then "bent" the bottom carefully! I would not recommend this!!!

Read this. No it should not squeeze, or shred the filament. It should feed the filament properly without deforming or grinding it.
    I test the tension by holding the filament and extruding and by pulling out the filament again and have a look at the shape.
    Some filaments, in my case ABS, need a real strong tension, others are fine with the lowest setting.
    But again, read the article and check if your tensioning is working!

3. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

For OctoPrint I had same issue, base needs to come off as my hands and joints were not nimble enough(by a long shot) , make sure you remove the sd card before you take off the Base otherwise you will break it!

4. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

One of the several reasons, my Pi is now external in it's own case (and own PSU). So, so, so much easier and better, and now has a monitor, keyboard and can be left on when the printer is powered down, and no problem with the SD card!.

Pierce likes this.
  5. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Good point about the SD card, I will see if I can undo a minimal number of the base fasteners and manipulate it enough to get my hand in there, those nut traps are great, but, would have been good to either make the whole smaller and screw into the plastic itself OR have the nut hole very slightly smaller so that it was a tight push fit so as not to fall out.

#5 Ray, Apr 14, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  6. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

@Ray I can tell you now you will be undoing all but one edge to get it open, I speak from sad experience... At least once it's done it's done! I haven't had to go into the base again since