A screw loose

Discussion in 'Motion System' started by Spoon Unit, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

During the homing maneuver last night a screw went flying from the toolhead and, on inspection, I noticed all four screws on the tool plate were loose. I thought I'd used threadlock on all metal interfaces, but I also know I became over-cautious after my acrylic cracked. Specifically, these four:

[​IMG]

Perhaps these were the most likely to go first, but I'm now wondering what might be next.

Rob Heinzonly and mhe like this.
  2. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Of course, now my Z position is slightly out for all tools too. Weep.

3. Krayn

Krayn Well-Known Member

I was thinking the other day about making some sort of touch probe thing to try and use for nozzle alignment. Not that the nozzles fall out of alignment often or at all so far, but I figured it might be useful for people that swap nozzles out often or if we ever find a way to mount our extruder wiring on pogo pins so we could pull the extruders in and out of the racks super quickly.

I was thinking about using something a bit like the bottom of a shapeoko touch probe. Basically it would raise the probe until it made electrical contact with the nozzle (assuming the nozzle is clean) and use that to set the Z, then move the head along the X and Y until it made contact with the sides to measure the center of the nozzle. I'm still kind of thinking out load here and its not something I'm going to work on immediately, but I think its something that could work. I got the idea from the E3D video showing the TC's repeatability on toolchanges where they put a dial indicator on the bed and used it to measure the height of the nozzle on toolchange. Possibly a project for when I get a few volcano nozzles and blocks.

Ntesla66 likes this.