About to start building BigBox3d Pro printer. Any tips?

Discussion in 'Build Help' started by Russell, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Russell

Russell Member

Hey all,

You're probably going to cringe, but several years on, I am finally going to get started on building my bigbox 3d printer. It's the plywood pro version. It was delayed for various reasons, time being a big one, but also an international move to Canada. So this box has been from the UK, to Canada, and back to the UK. And now it's going to get built, starting today.

So, any suggestions before I get started? I'm a newbie to this (very DIY savvy in woodwork mainly), so I'm going to be following the online guide step by step, as well as the suggestions on the wiki from Livi's Pre-Build guide, but just thought I would put the question out there if anyone had any further tips for a new build.

gonzalo likes this.
  2. jfb

jfb Well-Known Member

I'ts certainly a bit delayed :)

You should be fine with the early set of tips - if you already have another 3d printer, I'd really recommend printing off a lot of the little nut trap holders - I use these ones https://forum.e3d-online.com/threads/simple-retainer-for-nut-traps.882/ If you don't want to have to use superglue to hold the nuts on the nut traps, these are good https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1515409/apps. If you don't have another printer already, then you can certainly do without - I'd suggest holding the nut traps in place with tape in that case. I initially built mine (acrylic dual) using just the build guide and Liv's tips and had no problems getting it working well - though I have to admit levelling the dual nozzles was a pain.

The build guide is pretty good really, so you shouldn't go too far wrong just following it. Take some extra time and care on the commissioning to do things in the right order and make sure things are properly aligned etc. Doing things out of sequence can cause alignment issues. A little adjustment of some of the printed parts with some sandpaper may be necessary in places - just check the fit and apply common sense.

A little thread lock on the grub screw for the Y axis pulley is a good idea - I found that can loosen up over time.

Don't over tighten the hotends into the extruder body, it's unnecessary, and it's the only mechanism you have for levelling the dual heads, so overtightening nozzle one will reduce how much you can adjust nozzle two to level them.

Assuming you're going to be using the supplied RUMBA board, have a look at the more recent threads about updating and configuring the firmware - I've moved off the Rambo to a DUET WiFi, so can't give any up to date advice on it. That said, it worked fine as delivered, so that's probably not urgent :)

Once you have your first good print, then it's probably time to start thinking about any mods/additions and so on to suit what *you* want to do - and generally having fun with the machine.

Main thing really is take it steady and do things in order - and above all, have fun!

Although the forum has been very quiet of late, there are plenty of people here willing to help out if you get stuck on anything.

[Edit to fix typos]

#2 jfb, Jun 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    gonzalo likes this.
  3. gonzalo

gonzalo Well-Known Member

The kit is a joy to build if you are good with your hands. All the frame and mechanical is maybe a little over engineered but you will be fine with all that. The wiring will be scary but if you follow the wiki and use the pictures you will be ok. You will need a multimeter to tune the motors by the way. Good luck!

jfb likes this.
  4. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

There was a similar question about six months ago where quite a few of original builders commented, look for this post saving us both repeating a lot of stuff and forgetting things too. The original WiKi, retired now, is very good but beware of the numerous forks where you divert off to a specific build/feature as it sometimes difficult finding your way back. Some sections of this Wiki were eventually numbered making it easier to quote where you are and at what stage you hit a problem. Sometimes the small photos make it difficult to see what is being referred to, it it top right or bottom left ! Don't remove the base with the Raspberry Pi SD card in you will snap it off ! :) I will look for the previous post. Google or preferably duckduckgo.com is better for searching than the inbuilt search facility in this forum. Glue the nuts in the nut-traps and follow the WiKi exactly as documented, taking particular note of the commissioning remarks like DON'T tighten UNTIL commissioning.

jfb likes this.
  5. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

6. Russell

Russell Member

Fantastic, thanks for the replies jfb, Gonzalo and Old_Tafr, and for finding the link. I thought this question would have been asked before, so thanks for finding it. Part of posting the question fresh was also to gauge how many people were still available on the forum to ask for help.

P.s. the links for purchasing the Titan upgrades is gone, so im guessing e3d are no longer selling those. But then again, maybe wait a couple of years and something better will be around anyways. I wonder if there will be another 3d printer from them.

7. Russell

Russell Member

(10) Z-Axis Bed Assembly

"Before starting this step please read through this post on google+. This only applies to the first 20-30 kits which were sent out before we paused shipping. If you are unsure please visit the forum at forum.e3d-online.com.

Google Plus has been shut down, so can't access the post. I wonder why they put it on google+ and not the wiki (I'm going to guess it was a user submitted bug listed there).

Any suggestions? Otherwise I'll just have to hope mine was not part of this group.

8. Russell

Russell Member

Just found out im short (by a large amount) on the M3 lock washers from bag 6. The guide wants 15 for the bottom and top of the heated bed, but theres only a handful left. I wonder if thats to do with the warning above?

-- Update, I looked in the stretch box, and theres extra lock washers with no numbers, so fingers crossed I'll use those.

9. jfb

jfb Well-Known Member

That should be right - have a look here... https://wiki.e3d-online.com/BigBox_Fixings_Errors_List

There is a full BOM here https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1521722/files

10. cez

cez Well-Known Member

Theres a user group here on Facebook if you get stuck and are in need of quick help :)