Acceleration setting

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Chase.Wichert, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Chase.Wichert

Chase.Wichert Well-Known Member

I've never messed with the acceleration setting, what is a good setting for the BB? I have a ton of small parts to print at a time and it is taking forever, do I simply need to increase the acceleration? I think I have it set to 1200 right now, and I have no idea what is too high or too low, etc.

2. Madeinoz67

Madeinoz67 Active Member

For small parts I don't think acceleration will make any difference

3. Chase.Wichert

How about Jerk settings?

4. Madeinoz67

Madeinoz67 Active Member

I remember playing around with all these settings a few years ago to see if I could tune my other printer (a felix V3.0) for faster prints and found there wasn't much difference to what was recommended, although I did manage to get up to around 100mm/sec for my prints, but decreased in print quality.

Increasing these values you will possible see more ringing / ghosting on the corners, i.e. lower print quality. Unfortunately thats the tradeoff, after prints = lower quality.

5. Chase.Wichert

Bummer...
    Thanks!

6. Madeinoz67

Madeinoz67 Active Member

Steven Burns likes this.
  7. Madeinoz67

Madeinoz67 Active Member

Will be interested to see how you go so please post your results

8. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

Did you look into increasing the extrusion width?

Richrap pointed out that you can go up to 2.5 times the nozzle width (examine the flat area at the tip of the nozzle).

That's a serious speed bump, without compromising print resolution (in the form of layer height) or introducing negative speed effects.

Moreover in Simplify 3D you can use the various "underspeed" parameters to make it that all the infill is printed really fast but the perimeters - or other things that matter - are done more carefully.

9. R Design

Notice that Jerk is set to 8 in our firmware.

Tom in his guide talks about setting it to 20-30% of maximum print speed.

So ours is very low.

Which definitely makes sense for a big, heavy print head.

Ditto our acceleration value (600) is low compared to the sorts of numbers he cites in his 2014 talk. And compared to a fast and light Ultimaker.

I'm not overly concerned about squeezing out the last drops of speed. But I am bothered by the ghosting / ringing that shows up at corners and, in my case, most noticeably around the corners that are where the nozzle turns into a hole in a flat surface. Really shows up in a light grey filament. But you can also find examples of this if you look at the BB print head itself (holding a light at an angle)!

Is the only thing to do to slow the whole thing down (max speed)?

10. Chase.Wichert

I was able to reduce it 20 hours by 24 hours, I set the Jerk to 16, the print speed to 80, and acceleration I think to 2000, the ghosting was increasingly worse, but is okay for what I am doing, as it was still accurate, however I have reduced the jerk to 12 printing at 80mm/s with an acceleration of 3000, so we will see..

Madeinoz67 and mike01hu like this.
  11. R Design

What are the mechanical criteria to meet to keep ghosting down?

I'm amazing you could go from our 600 to an ultimaker-like 3000 on the acceleration.

Is it all about making the belts as tight as possible? But what is too tight? What are the limits?

12. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Any images will be informative it you can.

13. Chase.Wichert

its just a matter of motor function really, and since my parts are very small it could accelerate that fast, but never really get near the printing speed...

So I don't know, I will tell you how it works out when I get home, I do have the belts pretty tight.

Attached Files: